Purism Shares April Update On Librem 5 Hardware/Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Could be, but does it really matter? It doesn't target the same market.
    They both target the phone buyers who need physical kill switches. Pine64 claim they are building theirs to allow ease of distro-hopping, which should be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      The app switcher really reminds me of webOS.

In fact, GNOME's header bar seems to be taken directly from webOS:

A webOS forum post from 2011 -- Gnome 3 seems to have copied webOS

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
        snip...by every jerkoff with their hand in the jar...snip
        That jar has to be the source of herpagonosyphilaids.

Comment

Originally posted by UlisesH View Post
          Honest question, isn't it illegal to use the Linux kernel and only provide a propietary blob?
          It's probably the proprietary, closed source devices drives and secret compiler configuration options. They can even require the compiled kernel to be signed, which is something GPL3 blocks (more or less), but the kernel is GPL2.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
            I wonder how much work mainstream companies have making their phones.

Purism is working in 1 phone, although they have write a good amount of nonexistent software, it is taking them a lot of time.

Would it be wrong to say that Samsung might be working on Galaxy S12 already? So they can release it in the 2 years?
            Yes, they absolutely are.
            Two years is commonly cited as the development cycle for a smartphone for the big players with their large development teams.
            Samsung will likely have finished the hardware specification for the Galaxy S11 about now, at which point their evaluation and development teams move on to the S12, while the hardware designers prepare the S11.

Comment

Originally posted by UlisesH View Post
              Honest question, isn't it illegal to use the Linux kernel and only provide a propietary blob?
              If it was then loads of big chipmakers would be in a heck of a lot of trouble. Either that or the cost of suing companies as big and well funded as Chipzilla, a.k.a Qualcomm, is just too expensive for anyone genuinely interested in doing that. Hell, Qualcomm is probably going to step in to assist any smaller chipmaker if they get sued as they know that might set an unfavorable precedent that can be used in future lawsuits against them specifically.

As for it being illegal, breaking a license agreement is grounds for a civil suit, not a criminal one. Thus it's not actually illegal, it's just breaking the terms of a (potentially*) legally binding contract and something you can be sued over in civil court.

*I say potentially as AFAIK the only open source license that's been found to be legally enforceable is the GPL, thou I'm not sure what version or if the ruling was on the enforceability of GPL in general.
              Last edited by L_A_G; 25 April 2019, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X