The PinePhone Linux Smartphone Dev Kit Can Run Wayland's Weston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

I understand, but this is supposed to be a smartphone..., not a tablet..

For a tablet, it is also small.
    so it goes outside a phone, in screen size, but it also doesn't full-fill the tablet screen size necessary..

For what you report, use a tablet, instead..
    or occasionally the phone, but at last resource..
    Because if not, you will need to be all the time with a "heavy brick" with you..
    I'm very aware.

IRL I'm a contractor. If I don't plan on going on a bid that day I usually won't have my tablet. Between welding, HVLP, heavy lifting, angle grinders...I'm not normally in what you would call "electronics safe locations" and a lot of the times the safest place to put my stuff is in a hot truck*. If a customer wants to add or change something and I don't have my tablet, it's nice to have the option to fire up an actual office suite on my phone, get my bid off the cloud, add a few lines to it, and email that to my customer. Anything below 5.5" and that isn't an option outside of using a magnifying glass with DPI hacks

*I've lost one phone and two batteries via "hot truck". It really isn't that safe of a place for 2/3 of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

It runs android, so it completely misses the point.
      That's the default OS, but just like its predecessor, the Gemini, it has an unlocked bootloader and multiboot support by default and can run Sailfish OS, Ubuntu Touch and even regular Linux distros. And you can even replace Android with one of those if you really want to. So no, it does *not* miss the point.
      Last edited by Vistaus; 22 April 2019, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
        Am I the only one that misses smaller screens? To me, the Nexus 5 was the epitome of smartphone size. I know it depends on hand size (mine are probably just above average for a male) but devices are just getting so big now....

No, you are not the only one.

Face it--insanely large 'smartphone' screens are (one of) the manufacturers' way of of justifying insanely high prices for their product. Just as most other unpopular decisions--which Pine is in the process of reversing--are based on boosting the manufacturers' profit.

I would absolutely love to have a 'smartphone' (THIS 'smartphone'...any 'smartphone' which didn't rely on Google)) which fit in in my shirt-pocket.

Since Pine is displaying the good immensely good sense to "go against the grain" and re-institute those things which were removed in a totally idiotic fashion (removeable battery, earphone jack,...) from 'smartphones', perhaps they'll bring out a version which a lot of people need--one which DOES fit in a shirt-pocket

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
          perhaps they'll bring out a version which a lot of people need--one which DOES fit in a shirt-pocket
          They are making the screens larger because people want thinner phones with more battery capacity. It's the only way to boost battery life. Also, you can ask a tailor to make larger pockets. For example, if you wear suits, you should know that the phone pockets have grown as well and you can buy custom jackets with even larger pockets. For example my latest suit can easily fit 6.7" phones, probably up to 7.5". Well, depends on the aspect ratio, but 7.5" 16:9 or 18:9 phones at least. I'm pretty confident most flagship phones will be > 7" in a year or two.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

They are making the screens larger because people want thinner phones with more battery capacity. It's the only way to boost battery life. Also, you can ask a tailor to make larger pockets. For example, if you wear suits, you should know that the phone pockets have grown as well and you can buy custom jackets with even larger pockets. For example my latest suit can easily fit 6.7" phones, probably up to 7.5". Well, depends on the aspect ratio, but 7.5" 16:9 or 18:9 phones at least. I'm pretty confident most flagship phones will be > 7" in a year or two.
            You don't have to lecture me as to precisely why DumbPhone screens have gotten larger and larger; Instead, you need to seriously work at improving your reading comprehension skills. I made it imminently clear that I--as well as millions of others, I'm sure--know exactly why screens are now so large; and the general phone-buying population does not need that.

At the risk of "casting pearls before swine", here it is one more time, and just for you --

DumbPhone screens DO NOT NEED TO BE AS LARGE AS THEY ARE, and this is a call for a return to sanity regarding screen size--the same sanity Pine is exhibiting by bringing back the replaceable battery and the earphone jack.

And one more VERY important point--

This is one of the most--if not THE most--elitist posts I've ever seen. "...IF you wear suits..."; "...you can ask a tailor to make larger pockets..."; "...you can buy custom jackets...".

YOU may enjoy the happy circumstances of being able to have your tailor MAKE YOUR SHIRTS FOR YOU, along with your custom jackets, to accommodate your now-outsized DumbPhone, but I--and (again) millions of others of the proletariat--do not enjoy your bourgeoisie llifestyle--or mind-set, either, for that matter.

Back to your $2000 DumbPhone and your $2000 Pixel Googlebook. They, along with your tailored suits, shirts, and custom jackets make you look so good. And cool. And absolutely that you have ARRIVED.

Comment

YOU may enjoy the happy circumstances of being able to have your tailor MAKE YOUR SHIRTS FOR YOU, along with your custom jackets, to accommodate your now-outsized DumbPhone, but I--and (again) millions of others of the proletariat--do not enjoy your bourgeoisie llifestyle--or mind-set, either, for that matter.

Back to your $2000 DumbPhone and your $2000 Pixel Googlebook. They, along with your tailored suits, shirts, and custom jackets make you look so good. And cool. And absolutely that you have ARRIVED.
              Dude, you're speaking to a damn Roman emperor. People like that don't live like us common folk.

(if you know the actual history of said emperor, those two posts are damn hilarious)

Comment

DumbPhone screens DO NOT NEED TO BE AS LARGE AS THEY ARE,
                I know that. But the thing is, companies don't really care what people actually need. They do everything they can to hide the truth. They want to increase profits, so instead they will spew new ideas and envision what the user should want, which in turn will result in increased profits - for them.

Comment

Working...
                X