Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat / Fedora To Work On Bringing Up Arm Laptops Under Linux

Phoronix: Red Hat / Fedora To Work On Bringing Up Arm Laptops Under Linux

We've been looking forward to the ability to run Linux distributions on the recent Windows 10 Arm laptops and there has been some work in making it happen albeit not yet out-of-the-box and various hardware/kernel quirks with the different port attempts so far. But it looks like it could soon become an easy reality thanks to Red Hat...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just like some people are ready to pay more to get more privacy with Purism, some people are ready to pay more to get ARM rather than x86

Comment

Only going to get an ARM Laptop if I don't have to do any quirkiness to install Linux on it.

I want to be able to grab a generic aarch64 Fedora image, plug it in, boot and install.

This isn't yet possible on any ARM laptop afaik (other than Windows).

Comment

Why so? Does IBM want to make ARM laptops?

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
          Only going to get an ARM Laptop if I don't have to do any quirkiness to install Linux on it.

I want to be able to grab a generic aarch64 Fedora image, plug it in, boot and install.

Generally speaking the problem is the bootloader. Once you have U-Boot running Fedora relies on U-Boot's UEFI implementation to load GRUB, which in turn loads the generic Fedora ARM image. The fact that the arm-image-installer has the --target=TARGET parameter is to select bootloader and device tree file. Other than that it's a generic ARM distro.

Comment

I'd like to get the C630 but it's just a little too expensive for what it is.

Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
            Just like some people are ready to pay more to get more privacy with Purism, some people are ready to pay more to get ARM rather than x86
            Good point, though, you could argue the same about laptops in general. You tend to pay more for a laptop (vs a desktop) despite the inferior hardware. At least with ARM you're getting something that's light on system resources.

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Depends on what you define as "quirkiness". Remember, ARM doesn't have a BIOS/EFI, and it probably never will. For now, it seems you're still going to have to install it via a disk image. But, depending on the hardware, that's not especially difficult. I think it's totally possible for there to be a generic disk image that can work "out-of-the-box", or at least uses some user intervention (such as specifying what chipset you use) so if that's all you meant then yeah, I think that's reasonable to wait for. You still might be waiting a while though.

Comment

gnome on arm. Can't wait to see 3 FPS swarm animation.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                A much better and cheaper laptop for real (no company connection) open source Linux users:
                Did you read the topmost comment (31.01.2019) complaining about poor Linux compatibility of this machine?

Comment

Originally posted by paupav View Post
                  gnome on arm. Can't wait to see 3 FPS swarm animation.
                  Well, guess how it runs on Gemini Lake (got one). Intel's ULP SoCs are pathetic crap and get beaten to the death by ARM SoCs in multithreaded performance, GPU performance and efficiency at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    At least with ARM you're getting something that's light on system resources.
                    Sadly that depends on the OS and Apps.
                    If you opt for a "modern" 64bit main stream Linux Distro (gnome etc), it will be slow and bloated.
                    Last edited by Raka555; 08 April 2019, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X