Sailfish OS 3.0.2 "Oulanka" Brings Improved Power Management, Dozens Of Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They solved WLAN battery drain.
    Not yet. It seems to be a general issue in the Wifi driver they use from the AOSP version.
    Wifi issue for the GeminiPDA is fixed however.

Proximity Sensor issue is solved internaly and scheduled for 3.0.3 however.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      But a UI with text on transparent background is not pleasant.
      So in the other post you said iOS was better looking, but iOS also has parts where text is rendered on transparent backgrounds...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        They should showcase their OS with another theme, because that one with text on top of a blue-green background looks very bad.
        ... which can be said about every OS as people have different themeing tastes. For example, I didn't like the original Ambience theme on Ubuntu and I don't like the current Mint theme. So I can go to every article and say "they should showcase their distro with another theme", but others do like it, so it doesn't really make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

So in the other post you said iOS was better looking, but iOS also has parts where text is rendered on transparent backgrounds...
          Then at least when iOS do it they do it over a blurred background so the text is still readable.
          That Sailfish look is objectively bad because it fails AA and AAA color contrast accessibility guidelines.
          It is not that I like red and purple over green and blue, its that the theme have poor usability.

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

... which can be said about every OS as people have different themeing tastes. For example, I didn't like the original Ambience theme on Ubuntu and I don't like the current Mint theme. So I can go to every article and say "they should showcase their distro with another theme", but others do like it, so it doesn't really make sense.
          At least they should make sure the theme has text that is readable. Reading text on a transparent background is not user friendly. So the theme is bad, not even in the sense of style but in terms of usability too.

I think many will agree with you that Ambiance and Linux Mint looks ugly. But I think most people will agree that Material Design (Android), macOS, Fluent Design System (Windows 10) are beautiful. Some themes appeal to more people.

Comment

Originally posted by soulsource View Post
            About the beauty of Sailfish: I've been using Android from early December till Sailfish X Beta was released for the XA2, and I must say, that, compared to Sailfish, Android just feels clunky, and like it was designed to be as unwieldy to use as possible... Sailfish is just more elegant, as quite a lot of things that would require multiple taps on Android can be done with a single swipe.
            Exactly. Although I think Android isn't that horrible if you only change the laucher app to something simple (do we _really_ need several desktops on a phone?).

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post

Looking at the figures in xterm where "top" is running you have a total of 500 megs of system memory where X11 and Motif take up less the 15 megs. That's pretty impressive even by today's standards.
              It's so ironic how flat design is way "heavier" than bezeled design.

Comment

Working...
              X