No announcement yet.

Sailfish OS 3.0.2 "Oulanka" Brings Improved Power Management, Dozens Of Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I own a fairphone for two weeks. I wanted to try sailfish OS on it but I first tried Ubuntu Touch and it works very well so I keep using it at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by malkavian View Post

Hope you like more in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnnngoFtrSQ
      They got a nice phone with a physical keyboard, that is cool.
      The software is Linux, that is cool.
      But a UI with text on transparent background is not pleasant.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Bad comparison.
        One is a desktop environment, the other is a mobile environment.
        One is from 1987, the other one is from 2019.

Compared to contemporary mobile environments such as Android and iOS it is awful.
        What I meant is that at least it's slightly better than old bezeled no-anti-alias design... but you won again since I'm too late.
        Last edited by tildearrow; 25 March 2019, 04:58 PM.

Comment

But a UI with text on transparent background is not pleasant.
          That's a theme with transparent background. I don't like it either. Most of them have darken the background to improve text visibility.
          Last edited by malkavian; 25 March 2019, 05:14 PM.

Comment

It looks terrible!
            It looks awful!
            Do you think you can approach this in a constructive way? In other words, why is it terrible and what could they do to improve it? Are you aware that there are several themes available (and the ability to make your own), and the one from the screenshot is just one of them?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I agree, but at least it is better than this:

(to clarify: I know this is a desktop UI but the design and it's old but the fact that it's still being used in some cases makes it suck more)
              Looking at the figures in xterm where "top" is running you have a total of 500 megs of system memory where X11 and Motif take up less the 15 megs. That's pretty impressive even by today's standards.

Comment

Originally posted by malkavian View Post
                Soon i will buy a Sony Xperia XA2 Plus, since I want to continue using SailfishOS
                Short warning here: If you get an XA2, I'd recommend to stick to Android until Jolla fix the WLAN battery drain and the proximity sensor issues. One can use the phone with Sailfish X, but having to switch off WLAN unless you want to run out of battery in a couple of hours, and having to manually lock the screen while making a phone call are quite annoying.

About the beauty of Sailfish: I've been using Android from early December till Sailfish X Beta was released for the XA2, and I must say, that, compared to Sailfish, Android just feels clunky, and like it was designed to be as unwieldy to use as possible... Sailfish is just more elegant, as quite a lot of things that would require multiple taps on Android can be done with a single swipe.

Comment

i'm running 3.01.14 on an XA2 Plus, and I love it.

needs more polish, needs more performance (hello Qt5.9 upgrade), needs a better browser.

but all in all i'm happy to have blasted android off the device.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
                    Do you think you can approach this in a constructive way? In other words, why is it terrible and what could they do to improve it? Are you aware that there are several themes available (and the ability to make your own), and the one from the screenshot is just one of them?
                    Yes. A big reason I find it terrible is text on top of image or text in front of a transparent background. It makes the text difficult to read.
                    No, I was not aware that thee are several themes available. I hope that at least one of them is good.
                    They should showcase their OS with another theme, because that one with text on top of a blue-green background looks very bad.

Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
                    Looking at the figures in xterm where "top" is running you have a total of 500 megs of system memory where X11 and Motif take up less the 15 megs. That's pretty impressive even by today's standards.
                    Indeed. But anti-aliasing, scalable vector graphics, smooth animations, true color, HiDPI, 4K, advanced font rasterization, CSS-powered theme engine, etc comes at a price of more memory usage,

Comment

Originally posted by soulsource View Post

Short warning here: If you get an XA2, I'd recommend to stick to Android until Jolla fix the WLAN battery drain and the proximity sensor issues. One can use the phone with Sailfish X, but having to switch off WLAN unless you want to run out of battery in a couple of hours, and having to manually lock the screen while making a phone call are quite annoying.
                      They solved WLAN battery drain. And I only activate WLAN when I use it and deactivate it afterwards. It wouldn't be a problem for me.

By now there is a workaround for proximity sensor issue: https://together.jolla.com/question/...ty-sensor-xa2/ and they said that it is a priority for them to solve that issue and he want to have it solved for next version.

They should showcase their OS with another theme, because that one with text on top of a blue-green background looks very bad.
                      Probably they are showing it, because that and others clear themes are new ones presented in past version.

Comment

Working...
                      X