Librem 5 Smartphone Specs Firmed Up, But Now Delayed To Q3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaxad0127 View Post

The video from the blog looks to be their WIP GTK-based stuff, so not QtQuick. They have said that a KDE-based GUI and apps will be available as well; those are more mature than the GNome side offerings ATM (most of which Purism seems to be writing themselves).
    Could you fanboys / haters stop nagging nonstop is there one post that said something like:

"nice that they come with gnome KDE sucks so much even their version 5.0 was not meant for production but as alpha" something along that line? You get your KDE so stop complaining nonstop.

But it's only good if you have 100 gnome hate comments and everybody produce plasma only devices. I've seen videos of plasma mobile it's probably less usable than Ubuntu touch, are you marketing victims or why do you hate all so much.

It's always the same the inferior technology users are always the most aggressive and most hateful to the market leader, if it's vs Systemd or bsd people or plasma people. They can't just accept that most people don't have the same opinion then they have.

How long did I have to hear that gnome is so ram wasteful, and the release of plasma that brought it down to <500mb ram was only a few months before gnome was there, so be happy you were 6 months faster than means of course that gnome is unusable.

Comment

Will command line + always-on On Screen Keyboard be an option?
      Someone is calling, you hurry up to type ./answer-call and enter. When you're done talking you type Control-D to hang up, or Control-C that does the same thing but just kills the software (that's less nice and you won't get the summary with call length at the end).

You can do tail /var/log/messages | sms-send --recipient yourmom, though you'll wonder what use is that.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

HD is 720p
        FullHD is 1080p

If you read HD and still hope for FullHD it's your own fault...
        That said, 720p in a smartphone screen is good enough.
        There are laptops with 15.6" screens being sold with 1366p screens...
        You got that slightly wrong too. 1366x768 is 768p.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Yes but many phone users expect 4k these days on a 6" display. They're even pushing 8k. Soon all the mobile SoCs will decode 60 fps 8k h265 video. People also expect their 50 Mega pixel cameras to record such videos.
          This is really simple and stupid: The target audience isn't "many phone users".

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
            There are laptops with 15.6" screens being sold with 1366p screens...
            So is excrement. That doesn't mean that anybody should need to buy this shit.

BTW: those are not 1366p and if we would be strict here, I'd also have to tell you that we're not talking about TV signal formats. Good thing I'm not being strict, even when you tried to be.
            Last edited by juno; 21 February 2019, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post
              Still a overpriced low-end hardware. I would like to be able to purchase something so expensive, but if I was able I would actually buy a high-end instead.
              Also simple and stupid: Privacy is high-end.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Radar View Post

The modules they are looking at (the Quectel EC25-A and EC25-AF) implement VoLTE on the module itself as part of the GSM audio interface so it shouldn't require any special software on the device side. Earlier LTE band 12 devices may not have had the necessary firmware support for VoLTE.
                They should use the stuff from Huawai, it could use the same bands with 4G and GSM simultaneous. Just blame your president.

Comment

Originally posted by dibal View Post

They should use the stuff from Huawai, it could use the same bands with 4G and GSM simultaneous. Just blame your president.
                  Please see the edit to my post. 2G and 3G are largely going to be shut down very soon in the US (by the end of 2021).

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Radar View Post

Please see the edit to my post. 2G and 3G are largely going to be shut down very soon in the US (by the end of 2021).
                    There are smarter solutions as I outlined below, which doesn't break equipment used for emergency stuff. This is why it used in Germany.
                    As I remember in the US emergency is only available for rich people, so it doesn't really hurt people in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by dibal View Post
                      Sanctions on Huawei began under President Obama and have been broadly supported by members of both parties in Congress. If you are going to blame US politicians, you'll need to target a lot more than the current President.

Comment

Working...
                      X