Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Librem 5 Smartphone Specs Firmed Up, But Now Delayed To Q3

Phoronix: Librem 5 Smartphone Specs Firmed Up, But Now Delayed To Q3

The Librem 5 Linux-powered smartphone originally planned to ship in January 2019 but last year was delayed to April to allow for more time to finish up work on the hardware and software. Today Purism is announcing that the Librem 5 is being delayed to "Q3" but they have been making progress particularly on the hardware side...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why do they set the deadlines too early? Producing a brand new phone is not easy/quick when it is your first try.

Michael why did you not link to the post but rather the post list? The hardware details post is now up: https://puri.sm/posts/massive-progre...ng-adjustment/

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Why do they set the deadlines too early? Producing a brand new phone is not easy/quick when it is your first try.

Michael why did you not link to the post but rather the post list? The hardware details post is now up: https://puri.sm/posts/massive-progre...ng-adjustment/
      Link updated. When publishing the article, the post wasn't up nor did I know what the URL would be, just the embargo expiry of 11.00AM EST.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Does HD display mean 1080p or are the still going for a 720p display?

Comment

The choice of the PLS8 for LTE module pretty much means I won't be buying one since none of the variants of it support band 12, something that has been standard on phones since 2016 and which is critical for use on T-Mobile US. In contrast the team at PINE64 seemed receptive to using an LTE module with band 12 and band 71 support (something that's still very recent) in the PinePhone when I inquired about it with them on their forum. Between that and the price difference I think I know which of these two products I will be supporting (which is too bad because I do genuinely want to show support for libre hardware).

Comment

From the video, there looks to be some noticeable lag on the touch screen. Hopefully this gets minimized.

Comment

The chosen GSM/LTE/GPS was marvellous, to say the least...its the best!
              Lets see if they deliver, on promise... I will buy it for sure..

BUT, I hope they port Sailfish OS to this phone, because then would be an exact match!

Comment

Originally posted by aaahaaap View Post
                Does HD display mean 1080p or are the still going for a 720p display?
                HD = 720p
                Full HD = 1080p

Comment

I remember Jolla doing the same thing with unclear specs. It was announced with a "HD" display, so while everyone was secretly hoping for FullHD we were pretty sure it was going to be 720p. It then came out with 540p and they claimed qHD was still HD...

Comment

On the video they've posted on the blog - performance of this phone seems really bad. Is it doing some software rendering or what? I was running some QtQuick applications on i.MX6, which is less powerful, and it was running smoothly, for sure much better than what they show on the video.

Comment

Working...
                    X