Librem 5 Smartphone Specs Firmed Up, But Now Delayed To Q3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dibal View Post

There are smarter solutions as I outlined below, which doesn't break equipment used for emergency stuff. This is why it used in Germany.
    As I remember in the US emergency is only available for rich people, so it doesn't really hurt people in the US.
    Huh? Switching to VoLTE should, if anything, improve access to emergency services in the US since there will no longer be a chance you'll be stuck in a CDMA-only area with a GSM phone (or vice-versa). Granted this is a only because we picked the worst possible path for 2G/3G by not enforcing a single national standard and ending up with dueling standards. What the shutdown of 2G/3G will impact the most are IoT and industrial/commercial cellular applications since there may not be a straightforward upgrade path for all affected equipment.

Also, emergency services are definitely available to everyone in the US (in fact that was the reason non-VoLTE devices had band 12 disabled since they could not call 911 reliably if band 12 was left enabled) so I'm not sure what you're getting at with "only available for rich people" (our terrible for-profit health system aside but that's a separate issue that doesn't affect access to 911).

Comment

Originally posted by faldzip View Post
      On the video they've posted on the blog - performance of this phone seems really bad. Is it doing some software rendering or what? I was running some QtQuick applications on i.MX6, which is less powerful, and it was running smoothly, for sure much better than what they show on the video.
      probably its a big laggy,
      And now I just discover that Necunos Phone is open to earlier adopters..!
      We are finally ready to take your orders of the Necunos NC_1. We are excited to provide this engineering unit to the communities.

"It will have 5 operating system options to choose from"
      nice!

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

probably its a big laggy,
        And now I just discover that Necunos Phone is open to earlier adopters..!
        We are finally ready to take your orders of the Necunos NC_1. We are excited to provide this engineering unit to the communities.

"It will have 5 operating system options to choose from"
        nice!
        Yeah, mobile phone without cellular modem is quite handy /sarcasm
        The operating systems are community driven and under development
        Sounds to me "Here's the forks of AOSP you can choose from". It's not even remotely close to Librem 5's ability to run pretty much any distro with mainline and not outdated kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Sanctions on Huawei began under President Obama and have been broadly supported by members of both parties in Congress. If you are going to blame US politicians, you'll need to target a lot more than the current President.
          Correct. Huawei problems with the US go back even farther. In the 90's they found Huawei equipment with Cisco software installed. It has been going a very long time.

Comment

1440x720 is perfect for a mobile phone.
            4K on a smart phone is just an insane waste of pixels and cpu/gpu cycles.

Comment

w/ single sim on replaceable M.2 card
              Does this mean that in the future, I could just open the phone, and pop in a 5g modem? Or (if space allows) pop in a dual SIM modem?
              This sounds like something that could prolong the lifetime...

Comment

Originally posted by chupasaurus View Post

Yeah, mobile phone without cellular modem is quite handy /sarcasm
                Sounds to me "Here's the forks of AOSP you can choose from". It's not even remotely close to Librem 5's ability to run pretty much any distro with mainline and not outdated kernel.
                If you checked the operating systems there are 5 Linux operating systems, (PlasmaMobile, PostmarketOS, LuneOS, NemoMobile, MaemoLeste) and one Android based which is Replicant(Only FSF endorsed mobile distribution.) So no AOSP's there.

In FOSDEM Necunos guys, who had their actual device with them, said that NC_1 will run 4.19 mainline kernel with small patches, which are being upstreamed. So actually you could run any distro with mainline and 4.19 is not that outdated, right?

Comment

Baseband : Gemalto PLS8 3G/4G modem w/ single sim on replaceable M.2 card
                  Makes it worth it. Will the wireless card also be replaceable? Big feature if someone wants bluetooth 5 or a later itteration of wifi.

It doesn't spec high compared to modern phones, but consider it has a completely diffrent workload, I could imagine the specs would be absolutely fine for what they do.

If the radios are replaceable, and the screen and body components easily replaceable/fixable, then the phone would be worth a lot more than otherwise RAM/CPU/Storage specs would command.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
                    You got that slightly wrong too. 1366x768 is 768p.
                    It was a test to se who was paying attention. You win!

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                      Yes but many phone users expect 4k these days on a 6" display. They're even pushing 8k. Soon all the mobile SoCs will decode 60 fps 8k h265 video. People also expect their 50 Mega pixel cameras to record such videos.
                      Sure, there different people who value different stuff.
                      This phone is about who values their privacy more than specs.

Comment

Working...
                      X