• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sarmad
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Chrome user spotted.

In all seriousness, I don't see how it would fill so much RAM. It's a phone, not a laptop.
    If they deliver on their promise of convergence, then it's a laptop.

Leave a comment:

• Polon
    replied
    Answer to the myth that Android uses more memory than IOS:
    Android flagship devices tend to have more memory than their iPhone equivalents. Why is that? Is it because Android uses more RAM than iOS? Gary explains! Re...

Read the article: https://goo.gl/20dACZI often see the comment, "Android isn't optimized" or "iOS is better optimized." Why do people say that and is it true...

Leave a comment:

• blackiwid
    replied
    Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
    Canonical fails, jolla fails, firefox mobile fails, this one with this prices (120 euros phones with the same)and nothing to show it will fail too
    Why would they fail? they pay for it with the pre-orders and they have a record that they are not as amateurish as Jolla was and they can make a calculation that works out, like for the laptops.

And you can't just look at hardware, one big reason many people buy apple over android is just stupid update support. Especially this 120 dollar phones get maybe 1 year support, after 3 years you can flush it down the toilet because it became unusable and extremely unsafe.

Look at the fair-phone 1 as example a phone that was designed to have a long live it never got a upgrade to Android 5.0.

So you always pay more money for support even in the normal android sphere. I wonder if Mediatek not soon starts to put the software on a rom because products based on it are by design not up-gradable.

So if you can use that phone because nothing else than more updates 2 extra years the price is halved per year (assuming 4 instead of 2 years). So you can't just compare hardware vs hardware if you ignore upgradability.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    I'm still not sure Android needs more than 2GB either. Has anyone actually checked the RAM usage of their apps?
    I don't know how this will run, but my previous tablet (Bq Aquarius M10 with Android flashed over the original Ubuntu) easily ran out of memory with it's meager 2 GB RAM and I didn't even do much on it, just a web browser, Twitter and TV app open and that was already too much. So yeah, Android *does* need more than 2 GB of RAM. Unless your plan is to use Android Go, in which case 2 GB should be plenty.
    Last edited by Vistaus; 29 January 2019, 01:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    I'm still not sure Android needs more than 2GB either. Has anyone actually checked the RAM usage of their apps?
    Yes. My middle range Q4 2017 Android phone with 4 GB RAM can use up to 2.5 GB and still a RAM Cleanup actually makes it noticeably smoother. Hence, I personnally wouldn't go under 4GB.

Leave a comment:

• andre30correia
    replied
    Canonical fails, jolla fails, firefox mobile fails, this one with this prices (120 euros phones with the same)and nothing to show it will fail too

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
    But your comment about price it utterly ridiculous. This HW is obviously underpowered for its price, that doesn't mean it should cost zero.
    Your statement about "privacy can only be given to those paying for it" required that.

For the record, the high price is because they aren't making large numbers of them, mostly because they don't have millions on hand.

And your comment about USB also is ridiculous: whatever goes through the modem could go to anybody. That's a privacy concern. You will have to use encryption for all voice/data going through the modem, which makes the phone part of this HW limited.
    You are using the modem to access the fucking internet (i.e. a large amount of third party networking infrastructure) over wireless signals. Any sensitive communication sent to the fucking internet and/or through wireless signals should be encrypted already. Having an opensource modem does not change this basic need so it's more or less irrelevant.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    I use firefox and I NEVER run out of memory. How about that, silly Chrome user?

And yes, I'm just kidding (about chrome and memory usage).
    I wanted to explain some reasons why I don't use Firefox, but the forum ate my edits...

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Felipe
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

You are paying for privacy, not (hardware) specs.
    Of course, I'm going to pay $600 so they don't know my location so they can't hunt me and kill me.

Leave a comment:

• cybertraveler
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post

Did you know the latest $529 iPad 2018 128GB cellular+wifi has 2 GB of RAM?

They say the reason it's sufficient is because iPad runs native high performance ObjC / C++ / Swift apps whereas Androids run interpreted garbage collected (twice the memory reqs) JS and Java apps.
    That's probably part of it. Apple seem to care more about software efficiency. One thing they did relatively recently in iOS 11, was they dropped support for 32 bit apps. This means that they no longer have to keep on disk and load into memory 32 bit versions of OS libraries. I'm pretty sure they did this to save on memory consumption and thus improve performance.

Citation: https://developer.apple.com/library/...71/_index.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X