Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Current Hardware Specifications For Purism's Librem 5 Phone

Phoronix: The Current Hardware Specifications For Purism's Librem 5 Phone

Just before Christmas, Purism began shipping the Librem 5 developer kits and with that increasing questions about the Librem 5 Linux smartphone, the company has published some new FAQs about the security-minded smartphone as well as publishing a concise list of the currently planned specifications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Don't they mean "SIM Slots"?

I also wonder what are the camera's specs...
    Last edited by tildearrow; 28 January 2019, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Glad they are thinking of possibly bumping up the RAM, coz 3 GB is quite small these days and I don't expect this phone to begin shipping anytime before Q4.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
        Glad they are thinking of possibly bumping up the RAM, coz 3 GB is quite small these days and I don't expect this phone to begin shipping anytime before Q4.
        Chrome user spotted.

In all seriousness, I don't see how it would fill so much RAM. It's a phone, not a laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Chrome user spotted.

In all seriousness, I don't see how it would fill so much RAM. It's a phone, not a laptop.
          I use Chrome (Chromium to be exact) and I rarely run out of memory.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I use firefox and I NEVER run out of memory. How about that, silly Chrome user?

And yes, I'm just kidding (about chrome and memory usage).

Comment

I'm trying out Brave Browser, the chrome derivative - no memory concerns at all so far this first week.

Comment

I use firefox and I NEVER run out of memory. How about that, silly Chrome user?

And yes, I'm just kidding (about chrome and memory usage).
                Firefox has some major gripes on mobile (for me).

The heck? I edited my post to add some explanation, and the forum ate my edits.

I know you're kidding.
                Last edited by tildearrow; 29 January 2019, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Don't they mean "SIM Slots"?

I also wonder what are the camera's specs...
                  These are probably some of the least "final" components. They're what they can source with desired price and volume at the time they need it. This is how I'm reading this news anyway. i.e. ordering 10,000 cameras and sitting on them for months would hurt the company (treasury spent, storage cost)

Chrome user spotted.

It should be trivial to ssh in from a family member's laptop (or RDP, VNC..) and run Libreoffice, browse the pictures gallery, run your browser (with your bookmarks and features), etc.

You should be able to use USB networking with the USB cable between desktop/laptop and phone, and fix it when it doesn't work, e.g. ssh in from the wireless network. When you fucked up all your wireless networking you should be able to use a USB keyboard instead ($1 USB-C to A dongle. can't find micro-USB to A in physical stores by the way..).
                  If you have fucked that up as well you'll still have a real terminal with the GNU commands rather than some crappy busybox with nothing in there except some files for a whole non GNU, non Unix OS that you have no idea how it works.

Rather than scourging web research results about how to back up your user data from Android (all leading to suggestions of Google Play apps) you'll back up your /home with cp -a, tar, scp, rsync or anything. Or you'll use a file system that supports snap shots if you want to.

This is the kind of things we might hope for I think.
                  So, it'd do all sorts of things and very reliably, because you can fix it when you mess it up, or backtrack, or wipe it and get your system back within minutes including your configuration dot files in the ~ directory, in the same ways you deal with x86 desktops and servers..

I will not continue further so as to not make a wall of text of soliloquy.
                  The other probable non user thing that will fill the RAM would be developers building their application on the platform.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                    Did you know the latest $529 iPad 2018 128GB cellular+wifi has 2 GB of RAM?

They say the reason it's sufficient is because iPad runs native high performance ObjC / C++ / Swift apps whereas Androids run interpreted garbage collected (twice the memory reqs) JS and Java apps.
                    Last edited by caligula; 28 January 2019, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X