Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purism Announces "PureOS Store" As Software Store For Their Smartphone & Laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purism Announces "PureOS Store" As Software Store For Their Smartphone & Laptops

Phoronix: Purism Announces "PureOS Store" As Software Store For Their Smartphone & Laptops

Adding to the platter of tasks for Purism as they prepare to ship their Librem 5 Linux smartphone in just a few months, they announced their plans to introduce the PureOS Store for not only their mobile initiative but also their laptops running the Debian-based PureOS operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally a new software store for Linux.
    Now we have elementary store, pop os store, ubuntu store and now pure os store.
    It's good to have a real choice.

Comment

I was checking out their Qemu image today,

https://developer.puri.sm/Librem5/De...ards/qemu.html

Seems like the dialer app is well done

The Chatty app is hard to test, I can't create a message without a "chat account" which isn't setup.

The Gnome Apps -- Calendar, Settings, Contacts aren't down-scaling well enough yet to fit the screen. Settings is nearly impossible to use.

The Gnome Web / Epiphany web browser seems mostly okay.

The on screen keyboard is really ugly so far.

At least it's currently possible to use SCP to install bin utilities like htop from a local linux machine.

It seems like it's coming along, the lock screen is well done, I'm not sure how far they need to be to ship it, it seems like there's some work to do.

EDIT: I uploaded a bunch of pics for people who want to see but don't want to go through the download and process

Last edited by ElectricPrism; 18 January 2019, 02:55 AM.

Comment

I don't know what to think about this. I find the app stores that give developers direct access to their users a total disaster. A big part of why Linux is basically free of maleware comes from the fact that we have maintainers between the user and the developer.

And if this is fully curated then how is it different than a repository and gets sold as something new?

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post
          I don't know what to think about this. I find the app stores that give developers direct access to their users a total disaster. A big part of why Linux is basically free of maleware comes from the fact that we have maintainers between the user and the developer.

And if this is fully curated then how is it different than a repository and gets sold as something new?
          "Store" is mainly another name for "Repository", with a (hopefully easy-to-use) front end. Point is just that Purism wants to make clear that they put effort into a central 'place' where their users can go to for (hopefully well curated) software.
          Last edited by sverris; 18 January 2019, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sverris View Post

"Store" is mainly another name for "Repository", with a (hopefully easy-to-use) front end. Point is just that Purism wants to make clear that they put effort into a central 'place' where their users can go to for (hopefully well curated) software.
            No, in today's age it isn't.
            Repos have maintainers assigned to packages, and these maintainers make sure the program is built correctly, and won't shit all over your system. Most stores today are more akin to OBS with a frontend for users to download.
            Correctly packaging is hard. No way around it.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post

No, in today's age it isn't.
              Repos have maintainers assigned to packages, and these maintainers make sure the program is built correctly, and won't shit all over your system. Most stores today are more akin to OBS with a frontend for users to download.
              Correctly packaging is hard. No way around it.
              This is imo part of "well curated": a store cannot be well curated, if software packages are not built correctly. So, most likely, Purism needs to insist that all software packages need to have assigned maintainers.

Comment

Originally posted by sverris View Post

This is imo part of "well curated": a store cannot be well curated, if software packages are not built correctly. So, most likely, Purism needs to insist that all software packages need to have assigned maintainers.
                We'll wait and see.
                I don't expect much more than a KDE store lookalike, that also supports flatpak.
                What you're describing is more like Arch's AUR, which would be pretty cool if it pans out.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
                  We'll wait and see.
                  I don't expect much more than a KDE store lookalike, that also supports flatpak.
                  What you're describing is more like Arch's AUR, which would be pretty cool if it pans out.
                  I believe all of these 'Stores' are basically just Gnome Software with some pretty images and they promote more common packages. But otherwise, gnome software does support Flatpak and I think you can even get it to support Snap. But they're still just frontends to apt/yum/dnf for the most part, depending on PackageKit if I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
                    Finally a new software store for Linux.
                    Now we have elementary store, pop os store, ubuntu store and now pure os store.
                    It's good to have a real choice.
                    Solus Software Center, Nomad Software Center, ...
                    The list goes on.

Comment

Working...
                    X