Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sailfish OS "Sipoonkorpi" Brings Firewall Improvements, Redesigned Image Editing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tabasko View Post

Can you elaborate what you mean by that. I dont think closed source UI components track you?
    From the Sailfish End User License Agreement:

«License restrictions. You are expressly prohibited from doing any of the following acts:
    *snip*
    Adding, uploading and/or displaying: (i) any material protected by copyright or other intellectual property rights without the prior approval of the respective rights holder, or (ii) any illegal or otherwise inappropriate or obscene material.»
    *snip*
    If we, in our reasonable discretion, consider that you are violating the terms of the license or this Agreement, we reserve the right to, in addition to any other remedies available, to suspend your access to our Software or related services (“Services”).»

So you are expressly prohibited from adding, uploading or displaying otherwise "inappropriate" or "obscene" material. Who are they to tell me what's inappropriate or obscene and why would I ever sign any agreement that gives a software company the right to dictate what I can read and write?
    Last edited by jo-erlend; 19 January 2019, 05:40 PM.

Comment

I thought I already knew why I am not getting any more Jolla devices…
      The clear showstoppers are CLAs on translations and closed source UX parts.
      I can't believe it is actually in there! https://jolla.com/sailfish-eula/
      How and when did that happen?

What we really need in this world is a Presbyterian Calvinist phone OS provider, so as not to succumb to lewd acts of vice, on our humble devices of telecommunication.

(I repent this joke, for I have read from the EULA) "You are expressly prohibited from doing any of the following acts: Providing us false or misleading information."

SECTION 16-15-305. Disseminating, procuring or promoting obscenity unlawful; definitions; penalties; obscene material designated contraband.

(A) It is unlawful for any person knowingly to disseminate obscenity. A person disseminates obscenity within the meaning of this article if he:

(3) publishes, exhibits, or otherwise makes available anything obscene to any group or individual; or

(4) exhibits, presents, rents, sells, delivers, or provides; or offers or agrees to exhibit, present, rent, or to provide: any motion picture, film, filmstrip, or projection slide, or sound recording, sound tape, or sound track, video tapes and recordings, or any matter or material of whatever form which is a representation, description, performance, or publication of the obscene.

I is fine legal code like this that helps fight the urges, the urges to tell Jolla to procreate themselves in their own flesh, oh how plentiful they are.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
        Ofcourse, I would like to have a xperia with the Russian version of Sailfish OS, because they get what we don't get( pure sailfish OS without android bloatware, with all the core features.. )
        Nothing forces you to install Alien Dalvik. You can remove it, if you don't want it. (Or use a community port which doesn't even feature it).

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
        I don't even like my xperia, I brought it because it was stated that FM radio will come later...but this later...have become years, and nothing yet...
        Saddly, yes.

On the other hand, FM radio apparently works with the community ports of Fariphone and One plus according to the adpatations tables

Originally posted by misGnomer View Post
        It's like Jolla never managed to capture the imagination and support of the open-source developer and user communities which would have been their greatest resource and asset.
        But there's still quite some things happenning on openrepos.net and talk.maemo.org.

We're getting a couple of nice applications (my favourite community-developper : OMS Scout Server, Pure Maps, Laufhelden).

But on the other hand we're pretty much limited : networks like WhatsApp are closed by design and any attempt at making a replacement apps instead of using the official android one usually ends up with a ban.

Apparently both the browser
        Yup, it's still an old version of the Gecko engine.
        You need to download the android app for Firefox if you need a good fallback.

and VOIP integration are lagging.
        Community codecs, etc. do work. Simply nobody at Jolla has cared to plumb it into the interface.

Most probably because most of their major partners aren't paying for VOIP support (some of them are ISP and view VOIP as competitor. See how most of them were reticent toward Skype on mobile phones).

But now that ISP are starting to get interested into "Wifi Calling", things might finally moving.

What do they think people are using their phones for these days??
        I don't know... huh... having phone conversations ?

More seriously, for basic usage, the browser might be enough. (In my case, it's been displaying nearly all the website I need).

Being able to dual-boot between official Android/LineageOS and Sailfish OS would reduce or remove the risk of trying out Sailfish, but there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to achieve that?
        Saddly no obvious way, because most smartphones can only boot 1 single non-recovery kernel+ramdisk, and because both Android and Sailfish uses the user-data partition but each in completely different way.

*could* be doable by storing one of the kernel+ramdisk as a recovery (but thus losing the ability to boot into recovery without using fastboot), and making a custom edition of Sailfish (or of AOSP) that boots from the SD card instead of an LVM-partitioned user data partition.

That's not impossible, people used to do exactly that with OpenMoko, and some people have even written boot menu that work using a linux kernel and can then kexec further kernels (thus making it possible to only use the normal kernel slot of android smartphones to host the menu).

I just haven't heard of anyone doing it.

The world could use a trustworthy open-source mobile OS like the Maemo people at old Nokia intended.
        Hopefully Jolla will manage to make progress.
        And hopefully other attempts at opensource GNU/Linux for phone (like purism's librem) will find success too.

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post

Nothing forces you to install Alien Dalvik. You can remove it, if you don't want it. (Or use a community port which doesn't even feature it).

Saddly, yes.

On the other hand, FM radio apparently works with the community ports of Fariphone and One plus according to the adpatations tables
          Thanks for that clarification, I was not aware of even a phone, with Sailfish OS having true Radio( FM Radio )..

But for that I need to sacrifice the fingerprint Sensor put in the On/Off Button..that is in Sony devices..
          Its a MUST, the same button for everything

You don´t need to open the protective case to unlock or lock,
          And you can do it with only one hand, its very good idea..

A fingerprint sensor in the Screen , or in the Back of the phone, is a very tragic idea..

I still have a dream to have a Sailfish OS phone, but a Pure Salfish OS , like the Inoi r7, but with current specs, and hardware supported.

Comment

Working...
          X