Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android Notifications Coming To KDE Frameworks 5

Phoronix: Android Notifications Coming To KDE Frameworks 5

Beginning with February's KDE Frameworks 5.55 release, there will be an Android notifications back-end introduced...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope they have a blacklist/whitelist for notifications. I really don't want crappy ad notifications showing up on my desktop.

Other than that, cool. I know it'll be very useful for me.

Comment

How is this different from what KDEConnect does (which, by the way, keeps getting better and better)?

Comment

Originally posted by Saverios View Post
        How is this different from what KDEConnect does (which, by the way, keeps getting better and better)?
        It's very different. KDE Connect is for hooking up an Android phone to a PC. This is for apps using the KF5 libraries to be ported to Android, making their notifications (which use the KF5Notifications API) work on that system.

Comment

So KDE Frameworks now works on Android? That could lead to some interesting development....
          Remember back in 2015, Mozilla released an APK that would allow you to install a full Firefox OS environment on top of Android? It was called B2GDroid, and the APK is still available somewhere... I wonder if someone could create a KDE Plasma Mobile environment that could run on top of Android?

Comment

Originally posted by mzs.112000 View Post
            So KDE Frameworks now works on Android? That could lead to some interesting development....
            Remember back in 2015, Mozilla released an APK that would allow you to install a full Firefox OS environment on top of Android? It was called B2GDroid, and the APK is still available somewhere... I wonder if someone could create a KDE Plasma Mobile environment that could run on top of Android?
            It's a case-by-case thing. A lot of frameworks have worked quite well for some time, others only offer partial functionality on the platform so far. It's improving over time. Generally speaking, making a KF5 Android app - especially keeping in mind KF5 contains Kirigami! - is quite viable now. Docs, SDK, etc. need a lot of love to make it more accessible, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Saverios View Post
              as far as i understand it, this is more tailored towards porting KDE-projects to Android - like it was done with Marble for example.
              I could be wrong though ^^

Comment

Besides this, KDE just released Frameworks 5.54, Applications 18.12.1 and KDE Plasma 5.14.5 :-)

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  I hope they have a blacklist/whitelist for notifications. I really don't want crappy ad notifications showing up on my desktop.
                  Or by priority. Ad notifications are usually low priority, so if you set it to medium or high only, they will not show up. Would not be a terrible idea; Enlightenment also filters by priority (albeit only for Linux notifications, but still).

Comment

Originally posted by mzs.112000 View Post
                    Maybe that's their plan. I mean: they also ported KDE to Windows, so Android would be the next logical platform.

Comment

Working...
                    X