It's Still A Slow Process For Ubuntu Touch Moving To Mir 1.x / Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Still A Slow Process For Ubuntu Touch Moving To Mir 1.x / Wayland

Phoronix: It's Still A Slow Process For Ubuntu Touch Moving To Mir 1.x / Wayland

Given yesterday's release of Ubuntu Touch OTA-7, you might be curious how this UBports project is moving along with their adoption of the modern Mir 1.x that provides Wayland support... Unfortunately, it will still be a while before that is being shipped in production on Ubuntu Touch...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: It's Still A Slow Process For Ubuntu Touch Moving To Mir 1.x / Wayland

Given yesterday's release of Ubuntu Touch OTA-7, you might be curious how this UBports project is moving along with their adoption of the modern Mir 1.x that provides Wayland support... Unfortunately, it will still be a while before that is being shipped in production on Ubuntu Touch...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...h-Mir-Ways-Out
    That takes a rather negative view of the progress UBports are making.

A few people are maintaining a significant software stack that works across a range of quirky hardware and are taking the very sensible approach of making frequent manageable steps between stable configurations. Early last year they published a plan of when various components would be brought up to date, and Mir has been, (and still is scheduled) this quarter.

It is clear from the video that, as planned, they're only just starting work on updating Mir and that they've made significant progress. There's no reason to think they can't deliver this for OTA 8 in February.

A more positive, more accurate, headline would be "It's Steady Process For Ubuntu Touch Moving To Mir 1.x / Wayland"

Comment

Alsn, you're not going to get a positive article about anything Canonical, previous or post. Michael has a "viewpoint" and all of his articles are derived from it. There is no such thing as nuetral honest and detached reporting at at Phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
        Alsn, you're not going to get a positive article about anything Canonical, previous or post. Michael has a "viewpoint" and all of his articles are derived from it. There is no such thing as nuetral honest and detached reporting at at Phoronix.
        I love Phoronix, but I sometimes think Michael posts particular perspectives less because of personal philosophy and more because he's trying to keep the lights on. Articles on Canonical and systemd are more likely to launch flame wars, which sucks for the Phoronix community and for the Linux community as a whole but drives more traffic and thus more ad revenue.

My guess is that if he had enough paying subscribers he would revert to more neutral perspectives.

Or in other words, in this regard Phoronix is a microcosm of the entire internet.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
          Hmm. I've never thought of this site as particularly negative towards Canonical or Ubuntu. I think I would be inclined to say the opposite of what you say. I agree with Alan Griffiths that things could've been phrased slightly differently in this particular article, but it's not a negative article.

In fact, I'm really impressed by both the quality and quantity of the articles he's able to product and I'm going to pay my subscription before I forget.

Comment

I thought it was a fair assessment of what most people would say about a lot of projects -- great that it's coming along, sucks it isn't ready yet.

I've never really felt any Ubuntu/Canonical hate here outside of forum posts.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanGriffiths View Post

That takes a rather negative view of the progress UBports are making.

A few people are maintaining a significant software stack that works across a range of quirky hardware and are taking the very sensible approach of making frequent manageable steps between stable configurations. Early last year they published a plan of when various components would be brought up to date, and Mir has been, (and still is scheduled) this quarter.

It is clear from the video that, as planned, they're only just starting work on updating Mir and that they've made significant progress. There's no reason to think they can't deliver this for OTA 8 in February.

A more positive, more accurate, headline would be "It's Steady Process For Ubuntu Touch Moving To Mir 1.x / Wayland"
              And luckily, they're getting more help later this year from Planet Computing as they will port Ubuntu Touch to the upcoming Cosmo Communicator and also help out iron general bugs As former Psion software/hardware engineers, they are very, very skilled so that will most likely boost Ubuntu Touch development quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
                Hmm. I've never thought of this site as particularly negative towards Canonical or Ubuntu. I think I would be inclined to say the opposite of what you say. I agree with Alan Griffiths that things could've been phrased slightly differently in this particular article, but it's not a negative article.

In fact, I'm really impressed by both the quality and quantity of the articles he's able to product and I'm going to pay my subscription before I forget.
                Huh? Just look at Fedora articles or anything by Red Hat or GNOME.

Even with comparatively minor stuff it's like "Fedora X is looking up to be in great shape for an exciting release!", you guys must be blind to think otherwise, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  Huh? Just look at Fedora articles or anything by Red Hat or GNOME.

Even with comparatively minor stuff it's like "Fedora X is looking up to be in great shape for an exciting release!", you guys must be blind to think otherwise, lol.
                  I'm not blind. I did a Google site search. I was not able to find any particularly negative articles about Ubuntu or Canonical. I also didn't find any excessively enthusiastic articles about Fedora.

If you're willing to spend time on this, fetch some links, will you?

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
                    I'm not blind. I did a Google site search. I was not able to find any particularly negative articles about Ubuntu or Canonical. I also didn't find any excessively enthusiastic articles about Fedora.

If you're willing to spend time on this, fetch some links, will you?
                    I wouldn't call it super negative, but it's not as enthusiastic for sure. Just the most recent I could find:

Contrast Fedora: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ora-2018-Recap
                    With Ubuntu: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ntu-2018-Recap

Comment

Working...
                    X