Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Necunos Mobile Linux Smartphone With KDE Option Preparing To Ship - Without Modem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Necunos Mobile Linux Smartphone With KDE Option Preparing To Ship - Without Modem

Phoronix: The Necunos Mobile Linux Smartphone With KDE Option Preparing To Ship - Without Modem

Back in November was the surprising announcement of the Necunos Mobile as an open-source Linux phone making use of KDE Plasma Mobile. That phone is now preparing to ship and pre-orders are open, but I wouldn't get too excited at this stage...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This guys, could very well put Sailfish Os on it!
    And it would be a nice phone..

Comment

Hmmm a "phone" that cannot be used as a phone. Cannot even use a mobile network. Why would you use that as a "development platform"? There must be cheaper tablets work similar specs for that.

Comment

Originally posted by glock24 View Post
        Hmmm a "phone" that cannot be used as a phone. Cannot even use a mobile network. Why would you use that as a "development platform"? There must be cheaper tablets work similar specs for that.
        I sincerely hope they don't put the modem in the end product for "privacy" reasons so I can laugh at a 1k€ phone that does nothing a phone can.

Comment

1200 euro for an i.MX6 device that is virtually functionally useless for its intended purpose? Thatsca hard sell

Comment

Opensource, where missing functionality is a feature! ---Stallman probably /s

Comment

Originally posted by glock24 View Post
              I was reading an article the other day about how in Germany 87% of smartphones connect to the internet was with WiFi. In my small town in America I can connect to WiFi at every single place I go shopping at so I can use my tablet for messaging and video calling. Not having internet for three minutes while you drive from Kroger to Walmart isn't that big of a deal once you get used to it.

I have an LTE-enabled tablet...but I was dumb and bought an AT&T branded cheapo because it had an unlocked bootloader and it blocks cellular dialing services so I really only use it as a WiFi tablet until I can figure out how to get around firmware/software lockouts. They want me to add $20/mo more to my cellular bill for call forwarding from my phone to my tablet...not gonna happen when all I really need is a $20/mo LTE only package and a $20/yr Magic Jack subscription to use my tablet for calling using VOIP...but ain't that some bullshit -- firmware/software lockouts to force consumers into paying yet another monthly "service fee".

My point is -- for business reasons, WiFi-only isn't the best option. It's why I still have my phone. WiFi-only works just fine for personal use if you're not a communications/smartphone addict.

I'm fully aware of it having ethernet. I know that I personally don't have enough cat5 to plug into my router and drive to the grocery store...y'all have like 15,000ft I could borrow?

I think it's pretty expensive, but that that is somewhat understandable for a first gen, open hardware/software, proof-of-concept model. Personally, if I were to drop over $1000 on open hardware, I'd be building a Raptor.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
                1200 euro for an i.MX6 device that is virtually functionally useless for its intended purpose? Thatsca hard sell
                Like I said above, the only reasons it's understandable is because it's a first-gen open product. What I didn't add was that its intended target is developers and open source advocates; that's usually an overlap of people with excess money to spend since programming pays more than working at a 7-11.

Gen 2 should be lower in price and be made for consumers. If it isn't...then damn...

Comment

If they are able to sell, even one of, an old soc masked as phone that costs like an Iphone, they are simply a marketing's genius!
                  Last edited by Danielsan; 03 January 2019, 12:20 PM.

Comment

There are some OEM devices where you can put your logo on it and sell at cheap prices. Personally, I would buy a smartphone, at a reasonably price and low specs if it can:

- Guarantee security updates for a couple years;
                    - Install Android apps from Google's store;
                    - Allow fine tuning on the apps behavior, like access to the internet and the data it tries to grab.

I don't need Galaxy S9 or iPhone 10 levels of performance, just something that do not make me impatient while trying to do common smartphone stuff.

To me, those projects shooting for the stars are doomed to fail, because they assume opensource enthusiasts will pay anything for a "Libre" device. It looks clear to me that is better starting with userland opensource to gain marketshare, them go for the lowlevel drivers, once you have the money to do so, instead of dreaming of a 100% libre device with mediocre specs at Apple prices.

If they insist on unrealistic goals, people who care for what software run on their devices will, at best, buy the most compatible LineageOS phone and move on with their lives.

Comment

Working...
                    X