Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Necunos Mobile Linux Smartphone With KDE Option Preparing To Ship - Without Modem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine
    replied
    Too much, for too little for me, I so want a phone that is free, this isn't prime time ready though, might be interesting to see where they go from this.

Leave a comment:

• Ray_o
    replied
    NC_1 SPECIFICATIONS

PLATFORM:

Chipset: ARM® Cortex®-A9 NXP i.MX6
    CPU: Quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A9
    Memory: 1GB
    Storage: 8GB
    Battery: 3500 mAh
    GPU: Vivante (Etnaviv with hardware acceleration)
    Display: 5.0"
    Body: Aluminium
    Camera: 5 MP 1.4" CONNECTORS:

Audio: 3.5mm audio jack
    Charging: Micro-USB, Data transfer disabled
    Microphone: Built-in microphone
    Speakers: 2 Built-in speaker CONNECTIVITY:

WLAN: WiFi (via SDIO) WL1801 (2.4 GHz)
    Ethernet: High speed 100Mb/s
    Serial: Internal SOFTWARE:

Operating Systems: Multiple community driven operating systems to choose from.
    Closed source firmware with memory access: NO
    Binary blobs: NO
    Locked bootloader: NO

1GB RAM, hmm i am not sure how bad this is.

Leave a comment:

• LaeMing
    replied
    Other than the price (ouchie, but it is specifically a small-run dev platform so fair enough), something that could serve as the equivalent of a Pi/Beagle/Odroid with screen, battery, etc. all properly integrated into a compact unit, is something I would have multiple uses for. Possibly when (if) the modem-included version comes out some day I could pick some of theses up cheap!

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    "Extreme tracking protection; no SIM module...Wi-Fi, Ethernet and other IP connectivity"

Where is the source of this quote? And what does it actually mean? Does it mean the device has no sim and no wifi as well? From English perspective, this statement is saying that the device has no connectivity at all.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
    1200 euro for an i.MX6 device that is virtually functionally useless for its intended purpose? Thatsca hard sell
    I know, right? The Planet Computing Cosmo Communicator is a much, much better deal and you can easily put KDE Plasma Mobile on it yourself as it allows multibooting out-of-the-box.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
    This guys, could very well put Sailfish Os on it!
    And it would be a nice phone..
    Yeah, if they'd put Sailfish 1 on it... I didn't like Sailfish anymore after 1.

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    There are some OEM devices where you can put your logo on it and sell at cheap prices. Personally, I would buy a smartphone, at a reasonably price and low specs if it can:

- Guarantee security updates for a couple years;
    - Install Android apps from Google's store;
    - Allow fine tuning on the apps behavior, like access to the internet and the data it tries to grab.

I don't need Galaxy S9 or iPhone 10 levels of performance, just something that do not make me impatient while trying to do common smartphone stuff.

To me, those projects shooting for the stars are doomed to fail, because they assume opensource enthusiasts will pay anything for a "Libre" device. It looks clear to me that is better starting with userland opensource to gain marketshare, them go for the lowlevel drivers, once you have the money to do so, instead of dreaming of a 100% libre device with mediocre specs at Apple prices.

If they insist on unrealistic goals, people who care for what software run on their devices will, at best, buy the most compatible LineageOS phone and move on with their lives.

Leave a comment:

• Danielsan
    replied
    If they are able to sell, even one of, an old soc masked as phone that costs like an Iphone, they are simply a marketing's genius!
    Last edited by Danielsan; 03 January 2019, 12:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
    1200 euro for an i.MX6 device that is virtually functionally useless for its intended purpose? Thatsca hard sell
    Like I said above, the only reasons it's understandable is because it's a first-gen open product. What I didn't add was that its intended target is developers and open source advocates; that's usually an overlap of people with excess money to spend since programming pays more than working at a 7-11.

Gen 2 should be lower in price and be made for consumers. If it isn't...then damn...

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by glock24 View Post
    Hmmm a "phone" that cannot be used as a phone. Cannot even use a mobile network. Why would you use that as a "development platform"? There must be cheaper tablets work similar specs for that.
    I was reading an article the other day about how in Germany 87% of smartphones connect to the internet was with WiFi. In my small town in America I can connect to WiFi at every single place I go shopping at so I can use my tablet for messaging and video calling. Not having internet for three minutes while you drive from Kroger to Walmart isn't that big of a deal once you get used to it.

I have an LTE-enabled tablet...but I was dumb and bought an AT&T branded cheapo because it had an unlocked bootloader and it blocks cellular dialing services so I really only use it as a WiFi tablet until I can figure out how to get around firmware/software lockouts. They want me to add $20/mo more to my cellular bill for call forwarding from my phone to my tablet...not gonna happen when all I really need is a $20/mo LTE only package and a $20/yr Magic Jack subscription to use my tablet for calling using VOIP...but ain't that some bullshit -- firmware/software lockouts to force consumers into paying yet another monthly "service fee".

My point is -- for business reasons, WiFi-only isn't the best option. It's why I still have my phone. WiFi-only works just fine for personal use if you're not a communications/smartphone addict.

I'm fully aware of it having ethernet. I know that I personally don't have enough cat5 to plug into my router and drive to the grocery store...y'all have like 15,000ft I could borrow?

I think it's pretty expensive, but that that is somewhat understandable for a first gen, open hardware/software, proof-of-concept model. Personally, if I were to drop over $1000 on open hardware, I'd be building a Raptor.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X