Arch Linux Users With Intel Graphics Can Begin Enjoying A Flicker-Free Boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hussam View Post
    How the hell did this turn around and become about systemd? Didn't sysvinit also log the boot sequence to console?
    This idiot troll doesn't believe in facts:

$ systemd-analyze
    Startup finished in 5.508s (firmware) + 38ms (loader) + 1.977s (kernel) + 974ms (userspace) = 8.498s
    graphical.target reached after 973ms in userspace

^ My 7 year old Sandy Bridge system.. 5.5 seconds of the 8.5 second boot time due to the slow UEFI BIOS. So apparently systemd is slow. System V Init or OpenRC would probably initialize two NICs, two sound cards, nvidia graphics, NFS, Samba, bluetooth, avahi etc. much faster.

Comment

That's still irrelevant. My initial comment was about having to see a boot sequence (which I don't mind at all) because of NVIDIA. What generates the logging and the boot speed are irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by matthewtrescott View Post
        Yes, can't use i915.fastboot=1 myself though because backlight control doesn't work with it. Even without i915.fastboot though the flickering is very minor.
        This is likely this bug: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=108225

For which patches fixing it are available, so this will hopefully be fixed soon.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

Pretty much anything from the 400-series and up are a safe bet for 18.04 (except for the 590 which you would need a newer kernel to work). The Fury (X) and Vega 56/64 are also reliable but not as optimized.

I also used the 750ti previously which stuttered in Gnome and had some minor tearing in the browser on all DEs, but if you only care about the gaming experience the 750 is still a pretty decent card for Linux. If it works for you there's really no need to switch.
          Thanks.

As for my card, it's not ideal, given that it's now the bottleneck for certain games I might consider playing, but I'll probably do as I did before. (Stick with my current card until it dies, then switch to the onboard AMD VGA for the two days it'll take NewEgg to ship me a successor... this time, AMD.)

Comment

Originally posted by shrinivas17081997 View Post
            you can get manjaro linux Flickr free boot with bootsplash with intel and amd hardware you just have to install systemd-bootsplash and a bootsplash-theme-manjaro then in mkinitcpio you have to add modules radeon or i915 for amd or intel
            Change as following for intel graphics
            mkinitcpio.conf
            MODULES=“i915”
            HOOKS=“base udev autodetect modconf block keyboard keymap resume filesystems bootsplash-manjaro”

etc/default/grub
            GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“resume=UUID=c8afc06e-d7a5-4f56-b14f-fb542d822576 bootsplash.bootfile=bootsplash-themes/manjaro/bootsplash"
            Isn't Manjaro's implementation using an inkernel-boot screen.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Thanks.

As for my card, it's not ideal, given that it's now the bottleneck for certain games I might consider playing, but I'll probably do as I did before. (Stick with my current card until it dies, then switch to the onboard AMD VGA for the two days it'll take NewEgg to ship me a successor... this time, AMD.)
              Can't tell you you're wrong. I switched from an Nvidia GTX 780 to an AMD RX 580. Couldn't be happier.
              Much better performance, less artifacts or bugs in Steam games (native and Proton).
              No tearing at all, not on the desktop and not in games. Not even when vsync is disabled. When vsync is enabled, the input lag is almost non-existent.
              As icing on the cake, in 2 months time Freesync should be working too.
              I couldn't believe my eyes, and really asked myself why I sticked to Nvidia that long, knowing that their cards are much more expensive and many users still keep saying they have the best Linux support...

I'm using Arch Linux with the open AMDGPU driver and radeon-vulkan module on Gnome-Shell in a pure Xorg session, no (X)Wayland. Dream come true.
              You might want to wait until Q1/Q2 next year when AMD launches their RX 3080 which should compete with the Nvidia RTX 2070 for half the price. Will probably upgrade too once Michael tests the cards and all functions are working properly. I hope AMD devs will be able to support those cards at release or very soon after.

Comment

I must be the only Linux user left that prefers text output until x.org launches.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

On that note, my brother just built a new system and decided to hold off on the video card until the post-Boxing Day stock clear-outs around January and February by borrowing an older AMD card from me. (Which was gifted to me by a mutual friend when he upgraded.)

Since he's decided to dual-boot Kubuntu 18.04.1 LTS and I'm not yet sure what his budget is for the GPU, can you make any general recommendations for evaluating cards when the time comes? (I'm still on an nVidia GeForce GTX750 that I bought back before AMD's open-source drivers got good, when my GT430 from 2007 died, so I have no experience picking AMD GPUs for compatibility.)
                  I have been very happy with the 8GB RX580 I've been running for a while now. System is running nice and stable, and I've got it set up in a dual-monitor situation (one 1920x1200 over ?DP?, one 1920x1080 over DVI).

Comment

Originally posted by matthewtrescott View Post
                    Yes, can't use i915.fastboot=1 myself though because backlight control doesn't work with it. Even without i915.fastboot though the flickering is very minor.
                    You can restore brightness control with the command
                    intel_reg write BLC_PWM_PCH_CTL1 0xc0000000

intel_reg is found in the intel-gpu-tools package

What I have is a systemd service that runs on boot:
                    [Unit]
                    Description=Enable backlight when i915.fastboot is a thing

[Service]
                    ExecStart=/usr/bin/intel_reg write BLC_PWM_PCH_CTL1 0xc0000000

[Install]
                    WantedBy=multi-user.target

Comment

darkbasic - No, RocM doesn't support the R9 390 as far as I know.

Comment

Working...
                      X