Arch Linux Users With Intel Graphics Can Begin Enjoying A Flicker-Free Boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Considering all the problems I have trying to get any kernel to work properly with my hardware on Linux, flicker-free boot is way at the bottom of my 'things I really don't have time to give a shit over' list.
    To be fair: this is initially a Red Hat project, this isn't AMD devs.

Just curious, what hardware doesn't work properly for you?

Comment

I'm a poor nvidia user. I have to watch systemd report it successfully launched things when I turn my productivity computer every morning .

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

This whole post is obvious fud. The real truth is that with open source drivers you have to choose hardware that already works. You didn't look first to see what would work and what wouldn't. AMD has a ton of extremely stable and well supported hardware, but you didn't and still don't know that.

All you ever had to do was ask, there are dozens of people here on this forum that could tell you whether their card was working well or not. Not to mention all the OSS devs and AMD employees that post regularly here.
        On that note, my brother just built a new system and decided to hold off on the video card until the post-Boxing Day stock clear-outs around January and February by borrowing an older AMD card from me. (Which was gifted to me by a mutual friend when he upgraded.)

Since he's decided to dual-boot Kubuntu 18.04.1 LTS and I'm not yet sure what his budget is for the GPU, can you make any general recommendations for evaluating cards when the time comes? (I'm still on an nVidia GeForce GTX750 that I bought back before AMD's open-source drivers got good, when my GT430 from 2007 died, so I have no experience picking AMD GPUs for compatibility.)
        Last edited by ssokolow; 11 December 2018, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hussam View Post
          I'm a poor nvidia user. I have to watch systemd report it successfully launched things when I turn my productivity computer every morning .
          NVIDIA ? Ask the open source friendly Jen-Hsun Huang for help!
          Good luck with that... HaHa

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
            On that note, my brother just built a new system and decided to hold off on the video card until the post-Boxing Day stock clear-outs around January and February by borrowing an older AMD card from me. (Which was gifted to me by a mutual friend when he upgraded.)

Since he's decided to dual-boot Kubuntu 18.04.1 LTS and I'm not yet sure what his budget is for the GPU, can you make any general recommendations for evaluating cards when the time comes? (I'm still on an nVidia GeForce GTX750 that I bought back before AMD's open-source drivers got good, when my GT430 from 2007 died, so I have no experience picking AMD GPUs for compatibility.)
            Pretty much anything from the 400-series and up are a safe bet for 18.04 (except for the 590 which you would need a newer kernel to work). The Fury (X) and Vega 56/64 are also reliable but not as optimized.

I also used the 750ti previously which stuttered in Gnome and had some minor tearing in the browser on all DEs, but if you only care about the gaming experience the 750 is still a pretty decent card for Linux. If it works for you there's really no need to switch.

Comment

What is Flicker-Free boot, how even someone cares about, on normal SSD boot takes ~3s, in Linux world restarting is unwanted.

Comment

Originally posted by bvbfan View Post
                What is Flicker-Free boot, how even someone cares about, on normal SSD boot takes ~3s, in Linux world restarting is unwanted.
                User experience matters. So you're basically saying that developers should stop fixing bugs because everything is already good enough for you. By that logic all development should stop today, because such people exist that already consider your pet peeves irrelevant programming exercises with no real need. The way I see it, all the mode switching during boot is totally unnecessary and possible source of bugs. It's much better if the baseline is bug free operation.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  Phoronix: Arch Linux Users With Intel Graphics Can Begin Enjoying A Flicker-Free Boot

It looks like the recent efforts led by Red Hat / Fedora on providing a flicker-free Linux boot experience
                  In other news, flicker-free boot was achieved like, what, 10-12 years ago? For example, GRUB/ISOLINUX boot loaders on the SUSE CDs would (unless you changed the resolution manually) just leave the system in the highest VESA mode the bootloader chose without deinitializing, and then the kernel continued running with it, and the X server tooted into the same horn.

Comment

@gorgone yeah, unfortunately NVIDIA couldn't care less for open source...

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Redhat is so poor that they do not have money for computers with a proper gpu. Debian can be run without systemd easily. Only at login you got a stupid systemd error message in syslog.
                    http://without-systemd.org/wiki/inde...h_installation
                    How the hell did this turn around and become about systemd? Didn't sysvinit also log the boot sequence to console?

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                      Most AMD systems that I've used are super buggy. My R9 390 hasn't been supported properly since the time it was launched. No H.265 decode/encode support, no OpenCL support (unless you count OpenCL 1.1 through mesa), buggy power management and unstable drivers that break with every new kernel version.

The Intel GPU drivers on the same system have been stable and reliable the whole time, with every new kernel version and point release.

I'm beginning to give up on AMD providing basic functional drivers, leave alone advanced functionality like a flicker-free boot experience.
                      That's far from my personal experience. Personally I had way more problems with Intel and their broken sna driver.
                      By the way, isn't ROCm an option for you?
                      ## VGA ##
                      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                      X