X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    Michael, you listed WiFi twice.

WiFi, "possibly" LTE cellular, WiFi

It'll be interesting to see what this becomes as more information becomes available.

I'm pretty much an exclusive Plasma user these days so it'll be nice to have a mobile device that has a similar look and feel to my desktop and integrates well with it; the current Plasma/mobile solutions are coming along nicely, IMHO, and this should make it even better. Also because my current phone, an LG G3, is getting pretty dated and I don't really want iOS or Ad-droid...I used to love Android and roms and all that...
    I love KDE Plasma on computers, but I don't like Plasma Mobile at all. Not as easy to operate and too many stuff taking up the screen real estate.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
      The average $80 tablet has better hardware....
      Sure, but is the hardware open source? Now I know you might not think that's a big deal and I don't really mind the closed-source either, but the creators of this phone want open source hardware and that can't be done with "average $80 hardware".

Comment

Plasma Mobile itself seems to progress very slowly though. And UI is way behind Sailfish OS in usability. I.e. it still needs something like gesture navigation and less artifacts from the desktop design. Without major resources behind it, it won't become more competitive.

That's why it's quite bad that Pursim didn't get behind it. Pooling resources could help everyone, and Plasma / Qt is the best FOSS option we have in the long term.

Also, something like Servo based browser is missing. Mozilla are too busy with Android to care about engine embedding for other cases (IPC embedlite died). browser.html isn't really very usable.

If Necuno can bring Plasma Mobile in shape - it would be awesome.
        Last edited by shmerl; 29 November 2018, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Sure, but is the hardware open source? Now I know you might not think that's a big deal and I don't really mind the closed-source either, but the creators of this phone want open source hardware and that can't be done with "average $80 hardware".
          Free Software doesn't save you from having to make otherwise competitive hardware, if you're hardware isn't' competitive it won't sell period, if you don't have any software, no one will buy version 2.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            Both of those open source phones will be a flop and will never be here: https://www.kimovil.com/en/
            You're just butt hurt that neither has even mentioned offering a XFCE GUI for their phone.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
              The average $80 tablet has better hardware...
              Yeah sure. Android is a pig though, especially on such low-end hardware that was never really properly integrated with it.

I won't be supprised if that iMX. 6 chip is EOL before it starts shipping.
              I somehow doubt it will. that SoC is for embedded/industrial usecase, they have a much longer lifecycle than most mobile stuff.

Comment

How about, a 6.2" 18:9 display 2160x1080 display, 4GB Of RAM, lets put in 64GB of eMMC, i.MX8 6-core, and also lets have Bluetooth, and LTE(i.MX8 has 2 PCIe lanes, it would be easy to put in a Telit LM940), lastly there is no excuse to not have Type-C in 2018...
                Do all of that, have a starting price lower than $400, and it will do well(otherwise, I can just buy any old mid-range Android, that will be 10 times more functional for the same price)

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                  If I read the specs and I don't see the bluetooth I imply it doesn't have it but it has the ethernet...
                  With the general lack of technical information I would not imply that at all.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                    Both of those open source phones will be a flop and will never be here: https://www.kimovil.com/en/
                    if they serve the niche they are designed for that is a success. Not everything needs to be pervasive and in every pocket to be considered successful. Not everything needs to take over the world.

Comment

Originally posted by mzs.112000 View Post
                      How about, a 6.2" 18:9 display 2160x1080 display, 4GB Of RAM, lets put in 64GB of eMMC, i.MX8 6-core, and also lets have Bluetooth, and LTE(i.MX8 has 2 PCIe lanes, it would be easy to put in a Telit LM940), lastly there is no excuse to not have Type-C in 2018...
                      Do all of that, have a starting price lower than $400, and it will do well(otherwise, I can just buy any old mid-range Android, that will be 10 times more functional for the same price)
                      People that "can just buy any old mid-range Android" are not in their target audience and will probably never be.

Most of the stuff you mention is horribly expensive if you don't have the scales of Samsung or Huawei or other large manufacturers.

Comment

Working...
                      X