Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UBports' Ubuntu Touch OTA-6 Is On The Way With Browser Improvements, Oneplus One Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UBports' Ubuntu Touch OTA-6 Is On The Way With Browser Improvements, Oneplus One Fixes

Phoronix: UBports' Ubuntu Touch OTA-6 Is On The Way With Browser Improvements, Oneplus One Fixes

The UBports community is in the process of rolling out the release candidate for their next Ubuntu Touch Over The Air update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I want to ask. Why are OnePlus phones so supported within the Android modding/Linux community? I am yet to see somebody in my area with a OnePlus phone...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      I want to ask. Why are OnePlus phones so supported within the Android modding/Linux community? I am yet to see somebody in my area with a OnePlus phone...
      the drivers and kernel and stuff are easily available since it run cyanogenmod stock

Comment

Is it worth the effort to install this on my OnePlus?

Comment

My guess is because the OnePlus One is so similar to a Nexus 5. For instance, Hybris a compatibility layer to run software meant to be compiled by GCC to run on Android, got a lot of heavy testing on Nexus devices by Canonical. KDE Plasma originally only targeted the Nexus 5 before the OnePlus One. Right now, PostMarketOS members are trying to mainline the Nexus 5. No doubt, the OnePlus One will benefit as well.

Also, targeting new devices is a lot of work for these projects. It might be more beneficial to focus on one device like the Nexus 5 (a somewhat modern Snapdragon deviceas if it can be completely mainlined, newer devices can follow later. However, as the OnePlus One is so similar to the Nexus 5, and was only $299 at launch, you might as well target it as well.

Comment

Because the phones are easily unlocked and the sources are readily available. That and the hardware is pretty decent.

Comment

The original rom on the OnePlus One was Cyanogen in some form - by the Cyanogen company. The relationship between the OnePlus co and the Cyanogen co broke down, unfortunately. Also, as others have pointed out, the hardware is pretty similar to some Nexus devices. So I guess it's much easier than other phones to bring up reasonable hardware support.

Comment

The last time I tried to use Ubuntu Touch the developers basically ignored CDMA support for the Nexus 5. As if there aren't large parts of the world, at least in the US, where GSM isn't a good option. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
                  The last time I tried to use Ubuntu Touch the developers basically ignored CDMA support for the Nexus 5. As if there aren't large parts of the world, at least in the US, where GSM isn't a good option. Sigh.
                  And how exactly is CMDA well-supported in the US when Verizon, the largest CMDA operator, is shutting down its CMDA network in favor of LTE? (New) devices can't even be activated on CMDA anymore (they already shut down that part) and on Dec 31, 2019, the rest of the CMDA network is going down as well for existing devices.
                  Last edited by Vistaus; 27 November 2018, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

And how exactly is CMDA well-supported in the US when Verizon, the largest CMDA operator, is shutting down its CMDA network in favor of LTE? (New) devices can't even be activated on CMDA anymore (they already shut down that part) and on Dec 31, 2019, the rest of the CMDA network is going down as well for existing devices.
                    I didn't say CDMA is "well-supported", but there are very large parts of the country where the Sprint network is the best option especially with MVNOs (Ting is what I use). Regardless, even as it dies off there is still the issue of SIM card compatibility which I hope gets resolved (but would not have high hopes for verizon to do so).

It's pretty ironic for an open source project to not care about device support either way.

Comment

Working...
                    X