Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google's Pixel 3 Is Using The MSM DRM Driver, More Android Phones Moving To DRM/KMS Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

DRM as in Direct Rendering Manager, not the other useless and controversial thing also called "DRM".
    I didn't mean trusted computing, but I was (and I still am) truly shocked by the fact that Google is using an open source video kernel driver.
    Is the userspace opensource too?
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by dos1 View Post
      Fun fact: the first phone ever with KMS support was Openmoko Neo Freerunner with SMedia Glamo back in 2009.
      yeah, but had no graphic acceleration, so the slowest UI mankind had ever seen :-/

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

yeah, but had no graphic acceleration, so the slowest UI mankind had ever seen :-/
        It did have acceleration - Glamo is a 2D and 3D accelerating GPU. However, it was a chip optimized for 320x240. With 640x480 screen, the acceleration was actually deccelerating due to low bandwidth and overhead, and its 3D engine limits actually made it useless for GLES, so nobody ever implemented a driver for that :P (2D acceleration was working since release though)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

I didn't mean trusted computing, but I was (and I still am) truly shocked by the fact that Google is using an open source video kernel driver.
          That hasn't been entirely clear. But Google is contributing to Freedreno Gallium3D, so it could be possible... But because there isn't any Vulkan Freedreno driver yet, at least that would be closed-up lib.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dos1 View Post

It did have acceleration - Glamo is a 2D and 3D accelerating GPU. However, it was a chip optimized for 320x240. With 640x480 screen, the acceleration was actually deccelerating due to low bandwidth and overhead, and its 3D engine limits actually made it useless for GLES, so nobody ever implemented a driver for that :P (2D acceleration was working since release though)
            I only remember they did not wanted to release the SPEC, when I got my OpenMoko it was unaccelerated and pretty laggy. Unfortunately it was stolen during a break-in to a storage, of course ridiculous given that the resell value was zero for the stupid thieves. Would love to have it still around for messing with the 3G firmware, or other fun stuff that could come to mind ,-)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

It's not the first time... I've got a 10" Pixel C tablet, and that one uses the Nouveau kernel driver with (I think) a closed-source nvidia user-space blob.

Comment

Working...
              X