Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Linux On Samsung Galaxy Devices Finally Reaches Beta (Samsung DeX)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu Linux On Samsung Galaxy Devices Finally Reaches Beta (Samsung DeX)

    Phoronix: Ubuntu Linux On Samsung Galaxy Devices Finally Reaches Beta (Samsung DeX)

    In October of 2017 Samsung announced convergence and traditional Linux distributions for Samsung Galaxy smartphones as the "Samsung DeX." Since then we hadn't heard anything more about this initiative while this week they appear to be ready with a beta...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...msung-DeX-Beta

  • #2
    So, as I understood from the posts mentioning that it's an application, and from the video — this does not actually install GNU/Linux on phone, it's rather something like a virtual machine. Then no, not interested. Still waiting for Librem phone.

    Comment


    • #3
      Getting linux containers on my phone, finally!
      I would love to get them on my note 8, but if it needs a note 9, so be it... A new phone it is.
      linux containers work pretty well on chromeos. To bad they don't make it available to armhf, as my exynos 5800 chromebook is more capable than my rockchip chromebook.
      Last edited by Ardje; 11-09-2018, 07:19 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        I am afraid near to nobody cares until Apple offers such things in their iPhones and call it their innovation.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
          So, as I understood from the posts mentioning that it's an application, and from the video — this does not actually install GNU/Linux on phone, it's rather something like a virtual machine. Then no, not interested. Still waiting for Librem phone.
          "Here is how it works. You need to install the Linux on DeX app on your device, once the app is installed a secure container will be created and you can add an Ubuntu Linux image on container to run it." source: linuxondex.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Spazturtle View Post

            "Here is how it works. You need to install the Linux on DeX app on your device, once the app is installed a secure container will be created and you can add an Ubuntu Linux image on container to run it." source: linuxondex.com
            Exactly how I want it... All my servers are just containers on multiple hosts, so why should it be any different on a phone on which I also have my payment app.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Ardje View Post
              Exactly how I want it... All my servers are just containers on multiple hosts, so why should it be any different on a phone on which I also have my payment app.
              The apps should already be sandboxed, so IMO it doesn't make sense to have yet another sandbox in the sandbox.

              Comment


              • #8
                Hope it gets support for the latest Ubuntu release, instead of that rather old Ubuntu release.

                Would love to see more Android device have support for something similar.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by johanb View Post
                  The apps should already be sandboxed, so IMO it doesn't make sense to have yet another sandbox in the sandbox.
                  The sandbox is directional, works only to keep stuff in, not to keep stuff out. If something exists outside of the sandbox can do what it wants to applications. The linux system needs a sandbox to be isolated from the other apps, so it can't harm them.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ardje View Post
                    Exactly how I want it... All my servers are just containers on multiple hosts, so why should it be any different on a phone on which I also have my payment app.
                    I think the hope of people commenting above was running Linux desktop distros INSTEAD of Android, which does have its own appeal.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X