Jolla Releases Sailfish 3.0 Mobile Linux Operating System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

I'm surprised some don't care about it. We need a FOSS system, not a closed one. There are too many blobs already.
    The biggest problem are the drivers, and that is not something jolla can solve -except maybe if they had some billions to spare and decided to reverse engineer and optimize everything or design their own chips.

The few bits on the UI is something that doesn't bother me at all. And even if it did bother me i would try to install an alternative GUI. It exists (glacier). Have you seen many of the ones moaning do it. No.

Sadly this situation started from jolla themselves -and the CEO at the time- who IMO spoke a little bit too much too soon. Maybe it the tablet thing had worked and phone sales were bigger things would have been different. it didn't happen and here we are with pretty much the only alternative to walled gardens or spyware.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      The biggest problem are the drivers, and that is not something jolla can solve -except maybe if they had some billions to spare and decided to reverse engineer and optimize everything or design their own chips.
      Unlike Jolla, Purism decided to put some major focus on hardware and drivers, as well as sticking to upstream Linux. Jolla should have done the same, they had expertise from Nokia times.

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      The few bits on the UI is something that doesn't bother me at all. And even if it did bother me i would try to install an alternative GUI. It exists (glacier).
      So why can't Jolla adopt Glacier? Let them collaborate on a common open UI. However it doesn't look to be actively developed:

https://github.com/nemomobile-ux/gla...commits/master

The fact that Jolla can't open up their UI for years shows that something is broken in the company itself.

To be clear, I think their UI is the best mobile UI that exists today. But the fact that it remains closed is a huge sore point.
      Last edited by shmerl; 01 November 2018, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Unlike Jolla, Purism decided to put some major focus on hardware and drivers, as well as sticking to upstream Linux. Jolla should have done the same, they had expertise from Nokia times.

So why can't Jolla adopt Glacier? Let them collaborate on a common open UI. However it doesn't look to be actively developed:

The fact that Jolla can't open up their UI for years shows that something is broken in the company itself.

To be clear, I think their UI is the best mobile UI that exists today. But the fact that it remains closed is a huge sore point.
        Why Jolla should abandone its Ui to go again like Nokia were with microsoft?
        Jolla has indeed the best UI, what is missing are drivers..
        FM Radio,humidity, barometer, etc sensors..

I brought a Experia X, to install sailfish on it, that hapened in final 2017...
        But I still am waiting for the drivers, so I am stick with sh**t android, because the sensors work here, also because it also have fm drivers too, which in imprescindível in a smartphone.

Comment

Exactly the point? And they are stalling open sourcing it.
          As I said, whining at Jolla does absolutely nothing when they want to do it, but can't.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
            As I said, whining at Jolla does absolutely nothing when they want to do it, but can't.
            You just said they don't want to do it.

Comment

You just said they don't want to do it.
              The owners of a company are not typically the same people who actually run it day to day...

Comment

I been using the new sailfish update since it arrived and i am pretty happy with it.
                The phone is faster and wifi and web browsers work faster.
                The UI got some changes that takes some time to get used to.
                In this Video I show you some of the highlights of the brand new SailfishOS 3.0.0.5 version available as Early Access. Announcement: https://blog.jolla.com/s...

I got no microSD around but i will order one so i can test the encryption of the SD-card.

You don't seem to understand what Jolla is.
                Jolla is a software company and develops sailfish OS, it's there only product they doesn't do hardware.
                Since Jolla doesn't do hardware users are forced to use what's available on the market and best you be best of with supported Sony hardware.
                How can a software company that doesn't do hardware choose more open hardware? Hardware is not Jolla's business.
                Looking at the product Jolla offers they have contributed a lot och code and solutions back to the community and most of the code can be found in Mer project.
                You can build your own OS from the code and you can use Sailfish community builds on your Sony device if you don't want to pay for SailfishX.
                If so much is open then what is Jolla's product, well it's the packaging of the distrobution, the UI and some basic apps, those paying for Sailfish also get a license for alien dalvik from a different company Myriad.
                There's open source community UI and apps that can be used instead of Jolla UI so there isn't anything stopping you from building your own version.
                But that won't be completely open do to the need for android drivers with libhybris unless you install it on hardware totally supported by open source, maybe you can use the librem 5 for that.

But you know this already since it's been explained to you in almost every thread on phoronix forum about Jolla and sailfish but you keep complaining about the same thing every time Jolla or Sailfish are mentioned.
                The UI is 'Jolla's only real product and is the only thing they in their current form can build a business around and continuing to finance the rest of their development where much goes back to the community, it's not like Jolla isn't giving anything back they contribute code all the time.
                The UI won't be opened and it will not change how many times you keep complaining about it.
                The UI was never supposed to be opened up but parts of it has and probably will be in the future.
                If you look at the UI components you will see much of it's code even with the current situation of the UI.
                What you suggest would kill the business of Jolla and what we would have left is what we got today plus the Jolla UI and maybe some Jolla app that already has an open source alternative that you can install today, and there wouldn't be a company called Jolla that contributes code to the community anymore.
                It's not like Jolla has an wide business model and it's competing against some of the wealthiest companies in the world and building a product everyone thought was impossible and it's a great OS Jolla has put together.
                Other companies have other ways to earn an income since not everything is there main product but that's not the case with Jolla that's a real small company and i can ensure you that Jolla's competitors in the smartphone OS development business have more cleaners working with them than Jolla ever has had has employed.
                I guess we will hear you complain in every future thread about Jolla and their UI but as for a small company to accomplice what Jolla has is very hard and there still going.
                Purism smartphone istn't for everyone since i don't expect it to include what most of us are expecting of an smartphone and it won't have an dedicated OS for smartphones that continuously sees active development over years to come, i can't see that happening but community will do some work.
                If you find Mer+an open UI as not being enough and to much work or not in an good enough shape then i can't see how Purism Librem5 will be a solution for you.
                From the beginning the first Jolla smartphone would have a more opened hardware but the ST-Ericsson controversy put an end to that.

Would you rather see Jolla going out of business or Jolla keeping their UI licensed as it is currently?
                Last edited by Nille_kungen; 03 November 2018, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                  You can build your own OS from the code and you can use Sailfish community builds on your Sony device if you don't want to pay for SailfishX.
                  I actually don't mind paying for it, but I want it to be open source. I'm fed up with proprietary UIs and etc. We need good quality FOSS mobile Linux, based on normal glibc/Wayland stack.

Comment

I actually don't mind paying for it, but I want it to be open source. I'm fed up with proprietary UIs and etc. We need good quality FOSS mobile Linux, based on normal glibc/Wayland stack.
                    Well you do get most of that from Sailfish OS but not the UI unless you use the open source UI.
                    I actually payed for SailfishX before i had an compatible Sony device, maybe a bit stupid but i wanted Sailfish to live on.
                    You can download the free version of Sailfish X straight from Jolla shop if you don't want to build it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                      You can download the free version of Sailfish X straight from Jolla shop if you don't want to build it yourself.
                      https://shop.jolla.com/
                      No, you can't:

Sorry, not available in your country
                      And I didn't find any community edition for Sony Xpera XA2.

Comment

Working...
                      X