No announcement yet.

Jolla Releases Sailfish 3.0 Mobile Linux Operating System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heh, so very happy, I still have the original Jolla. It has given spectacular value. So very glad also haven't switched to Android phone.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
      Looking forward to the day where a REAL open source Linux phone is available with KDE Plasma Mobile, Purism, UBPorts or whatever.

I pretty much refuse to buy anything Jolla because they have failed to fulfill their promises of open sourcing it. I don't see that changing.
      Enjoy your spyware or walled garden phone until then.

Comment

Enjoy your spyware or walled garden phone until then
        i actually enjoy my walled garden on my phone. It is when you leave the world of cell phones that I have trouble with iOS. A Linux based tablet worth buying would be nice though.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
          Looking forward to the day where a REAL open source Linux phone is available with KDE Plasma Mobile, Purism, UBPorts or whatever.

I pretty much refuse to buy anything Jolla because they have failed to fulfill their promises of open sourcing it. I don't see that changing.
          Exactly. I even wasted money in this company, just got a phone and I didn't ask to claim the money back for the tablet in the hope they keep at least their promises of open sourcing the UI.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            No other stakeholders, only Jolla stalling it forever. I'm not talking about stuff like ActiveSync or Android compat - I don't care about that. I'm talking about core components like UI and standard tools.
            Yes and those in-house developed components are co-owned by the people who own the company.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              And I wish they'd open source it already (it takes them years, and still no dice). Nothing beats their swipe UI navigation. Something Plasma Mobile should learn from.
              Their pull down menu is amazing. Since Apple has ditched their home button, and now are using swipe based navigation, Apple should copy this feature. Then everyone will copy Apple and we'll get that feature :P.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

Yes and those in-house developed components are co-owned by the people who own the company.
                Exactly the point? And they are stalling open sourcing it.

Comment

While respecting the promise they have made in the past[about releasing the full source code of Sailfish OS, including the UI components], they only have to gain, both new users and also direct contributors, testers, application developers, free publicity.

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post
                    While respecting the promise they have made in the past[about releasing the full source code of Sailfish OS, including the UI components], they only have to gain, both new users and also direct contributors, testers, application developers, free publicity.
                    No. There are people already testing early stuff, people that contribute after agreeing with jolla on some terms, noone stops you from writing your own app and as for publicity the only people that care much about open sourcing the UI (even though you can patch it/there is infra already for that -see patch manager) are the ones bitching around on the internet. If any of those was really interested in contributing -because he likes the OS- would have done it already like many others do.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                      the only people that care much about open sourcing the UI
                      I'm surprised some don't care about it. We need a FOSS system, not a closed one. There are too many blobs already.

Comment

Working...
                      X