Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LG Gram Laptops To Be Better Supported By The Next Linux Kernel

Phoronix: LG Gram Laptops To Be Better Supported By The Next Linux Kernel

While LG isn't often thought of as a laptop manufacturer, their Gram laptop line-up has recently been making some waves. The LG Gram laptops are powered by Intel Core CPUs and are designed to be slim and sleek yet durable. With the next Linux kernel (4.20~5.0), they should be better supported should you want to wipe the default Microsoft Windows installation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LG cant even make a K270 wireless keyboard that works 12"+ away, and now they think they can make a laptop?

We may be living in the tech apocolypse where everything sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by bofh80

Hey, uhm, I think you might you might be mixing up your LG's there . . . :/
      Wow, thank you, everything I know feels like a lie now =S

Comment

I would kill for a laptop with a decent 17" 16:10 screen, and the low weight is a nice albeit not critical bonus. But that cramped, stripped-down keyboard and no discrete touchpad mouse buttons? Yikes!

Comment

The 2020 LG Gram 17 was very recently released in the US and it boasts a significantly improved keyboard layout, more effective cooling system, Iris Pro integrated graphics, and an NVMe SSD. The screen is still super-glossy, but you can buy an anti-glare screen protector for it (if you're handy with such things). I haven't yet seen any real-world reports on how well the 2020 model supports Linux; distro-specific tips for the 2019 model can be found here and there on the Web.

Comment

Originally posted by BoomerPCM View Post
            The 2020 LG Gram 17 was very recently released in the US and it boasts a significantly improved keyboard layout, more effective cooling system, Iris Pro integrated graphics, and an NVMe SSD. The screen is still super-glossy, but you can buy an anti-glare screen protector for it (if you're handy with such things). I haven't yet seen any real-world reports on how well the 2020 model supports Linux; distro-specific tips for the 2019 model can be found here and there on the Web.
            I wanted to chime in on this because I recently purchased an LG Gram 17, model number 17Z990-R-AAC9U1, and immediately replaced Windows with Linux. I am running KDE Plasma 5.19 on Ubuntu version 18.0.4.1 with kernel 5.3.0-62 (generic). I did not experience any network problems, no apparent driver issues, all function keys except brightness work just fine, and I get great performance. The fingerprint sensor does not work, at least on this kernel. Upgrading to anything newer seems to consistently knock out my network connectivity, so I am kind of stuck on this kernel for now. With this performance, however, I don't see much of a reason to change or to update to 20.04. Just thought I'd share that this notebook can definitely run Linux near perfectly, but I cannot speak for every single distro.

Comment

Working...
            X