No announcement yet.

Purism Shares The Latest Librem 5 Smartphone Progress - Dev Kits Going Out Soon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purism Shares The Latest Librem 5 Smartphone Progress - Dev Kits Going Out Soon

Phoronix: Purism Shares The Latest Librem 5 Smartphone Progress - Dev Kits Going Out Soon

Purism has shared the latest details on their efforts to deliver the open-source Linux Librem 5 smartphone to market in 2019...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ctober-15-2018

I applaud the Purism devs for their steady progress on this. I'd much rather wait a while longer for a phone done right than get a partially complete phone on-time. As long as they keep going like this, I believe they will succeed where others have failed.

Comment

Originally posted by lectrode View Post
      I applaud the Purism devs for their steady progress on this. I'd much rather wait a while longer for a phone done right than get a partially complete phone on-time. As long as they keep going like this, I believe they will succeed where others have failed.
      Indeed. Besides the far past, i also hooked into a firefox os LTE open thing. /facepalm

BUT seriously at this point. we have a load of davlik i'd like to see running as linux native apps. (despite how much i [sic]love java).

Even just the gmail and calander app :/

Besides that. The other way round would be fantastic. Proper apps (linux speaking) for all the latest tripe all running native on linux.

Sigh. I'd even pick up a phone too.

Comment

My phone is on its last legs ... hoping this can be my next one ...

Comment

Somebody please change that keyboard and top bar font...

Comment

Perfect work !! I wish them risc-v phone in the future !

Comment

Originally posted by lilos View Post
              Perfect work !! I wish them risc-v phone in the future !
              Just as soon as they release a riskv CPU that is actually comparable to most Arm cores

Comment

Kudos to them for still not having given up on doing touch with a suboptimal toolkit. I guess sometimes the harder road can be more fun.

Comment

Originally posted by bofh80 View Post
                  Indeed. Besides the far past, i also hooked into a firefox os LTE open thing. /facepalm
                  You joke but 'Boot To Gecko' (Firefox OS, now KaiOS) is fast becoming the 2nd largest mobile OS in the 3rd world having overtaken iOS.

Comment

I bet the reason why FirefoxOS wasn't a good choice is because the Firefox patents

Comment

Working...
                    X