Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purism Is Hoping GNOME 3.32 Will Be In Great Shape For Their Librem 5 Smartphone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post
    It's nice that Purism has chosen the most high-quality DE available to make the best phone possible.
    They're supporting KDE as well. KDE already has everything needed for proper phone support and Gnome had almost nothing, so they're having to spend a lot of development time getting Gnome usable. https://puri.sm/posts/librem5-progress-report-2/

Comment

Originally posted by Lanz View Post
      Gnome is essentially a tablet GUI anyway - shouldn't be too hard.
      GNOME 3.x is most efficient when you use it a hotkey GUI and I imagine it's adequate as a tablet GUI. I never tried it that way. The problem is that out of the box it's awkward as a mouse-based GUI, and most of the tech grognards operate that way in GUIs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post
        It's nice that Purism has chosen the most high-quality DE available to make the best phone possible.
        They chose no DE at all. They write their own based on wlroots.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanz View Post
          Gnome is essentially a tablet GUI anyway - shouldn't be too hard.
          Sure, but smartphones do have smaller screens, so it needs to scale well...

Comment

The news coming from Librem makes me think they've given up on providing a phone capable of running on mainline Linux. Otherwise, they would be willing to sell the hardware to enthusiasts who doesn't need Gnome or any other consumer grade software stack. Right? We need the phone equivalent of a PC, which made Linux successful because people could play with it.

Comment

Working...
            X