Sailfish OS "Nurmonjoki" Released For GDPR Compliance, App Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by misGnomer View Post
    It feels like a missed opportunity not having Jolla and Nokia cooperate. The need for trusted, privacy-respecting devices is only going to grow and those two could still be in good position despite wasting the chance with Maemo decade ago. With Apple and Google operating under their own reality distortion fields, there's a genuine need for a third, smaller but viable and open platform.
    What kind of co-operation do you mean? Nokia doesn't do phones anymore and that is one of the reasons Jolla exists.

Comment

Eh, right. By Nokia I meant the HMD Global offshoot located more or less across the street.

By cooperation I meant having HMD Global design and ship devices with Sailfish in mind and Jolla getting the funding to be able to support them properly and out of the box.

I also happen to think that EU states should pool their efforts to build infrastructure based on Linux and open/libre source and having a mobile platform like Sailfish can be seamless and secure part of it. Leaving everything to market forces isn't always ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by misGnomer View Post
        It feels like a missed opportunity not having Jolla and Nokia cooperate. The need for trusted, privacy-respecting devices is only going to grow and those two could still be in good position despite wasting the chance with Maemo decade ago. With Apple and Google operating under their own reality distortion fields, there's a genuine need for a third, smaller but viable and open platform.
        A Nokia 6.1 Plus running SailfishOS would definitely be a case of "Shut up and take my money" for me, but as it stands HMD is right now focused very much on growing the phone business and third OS device just aren't big sellers. If you look at what they're doing right now you can very much see that their focus is on Asia, which is probably to be expected seeing how they are in part Chinese owned and most of their product development is mostly done by a subsidiary of Foxconn (FIH Mobile).

Comment

Working...
        X