Sailfish OS "Nurmonjoki" Released For GDPR Compliance, App Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sailfish OS "Nurmonjoki" Released For GDPR Compliance, App Updates

Phoronix: Sailfish OS "Nurmonjoki" Released For GDPR Compliance, App Updates

While Jolla's Linux-based Sailfish OS mobile operating system hasn't turned out to be as great as many anticipated, today the Finnish company released Sailfish OS 2.2.1 under the Nurmonjoki codename...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I had high hopes for Sailfish as a real alternative to iOS and Android. Too bad they didnt have solid direction and someone with a bit of business sense.

Comment

Writing this on a Jolla Phone...

I still consider Sailfish OS superior to Android. It's less of a resource hog, and native applications outperform Java stuff in most use cases.

Sadly the OS never got a big enough user base to get a decent software ecosystem, meaning one has to rely on Aliendalvik and (slow and memory hogging) Android applications for many things...

Still, if Sailfish X is still a thing once my Jolla Phone dies, I'll certainly buy a compatible device.

Comment

Originally posted by soulsource View Post
        Writing this on a Jolla Phone...

I still consider Sailfish OS superior to Android. It's less of a resource hog, and native applications outperform Java stuff in most use cases.

Sadly the OS never got a big enough user base to get a decent software ecosystem, meaning one has to rely on Aliendalvik and (slow and memory hogging) Android applications for many things...

Still, if Sailfish X is still a thing once my Jolla Phone dies, I'll certainly buy a compatible device.
        yes but if your phone doesn't have aliendalvik you are done. There are several phones that have a xda sailfish image and had some development but they don't have the official aproved seal of Jolla, and don't have aliendalvik.

Comment

Also writing this with a SF device, albeit my Xperia X. android apps work mostly fast here, especially firefox. I've high hopes for the android upgrade targeted for SF 3. It's getting realy old, some stuff doesn't work at all, i.e the app for my drone.

Comment

I dread the day where my Jolla phone will be dead. Don't want to go back to the slowdroid mess.

Comment

Are they still liars that have not opensourced their stack as promised?

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                Yes, sadly they are also still following their old "let's screw every direction we take up" approach. Also the "let's miss our own boat" stuff they're good at.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                  Liars? They've said they intend to do just that, but due to various investors having shared ownership of the codebase they can't just go ahead with it without getting permission from all of them and not all of them have been very open to the idea. According to what they've said they're still working towards getting those part owners of the codebase to agree to it, but that's going to require a whole lot of convincing and won't happen overnight.

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
                  Yes, sadly they are also still following their old "let's screw every direction we take up" approach. Also the "let's miss our own boat" stuff they're good at.
                  If you've paid attention to what's happened to them over the years you'd known it's more like having really bad luck at almost every turn.

This includes stuff like having to hurriedly re-engineer the Jolla 1 due to Texas Instruments announcing at the 11th hour that they're pulling out of the smartphone SoC market and releasing the device in a very beta-ish state, which obviously didn't exactly do wonders for sales. The tablet fiasco also includes an expensive 11th hour re-engineering due to the display module unexpectedly going out of production along with funding falling trough at the last minute causing one of the suppliers to take a lot of their components as payment for bills they now couldn't pay.

Still, let's hope SailfishOS 3.0 is a good update and once they're done with it they can get on with getting more devices supported along with getting devices with SailfishOS pre-installed into markets other than Russia (Inoi R7) and South America (Jala Accione).
                  Last edited by L_A_G; 13 September 2018, 08:07 AM.

Comment

It feels like a missed opportunity not having Jolla and Nokia cooperate. The need for trusted, privacy-respecting devices is only going to grow and those two could still be in good position despite wasting the chance with Maemo decade ago. With Apple and Google operating under their own reality distortion fields, there's a genuine need for a third, smaller but viable and open platform.

Comment

Working...
                    X