No announcement yet.

Purism Pushes Back The Librem 5 Linux Smartphone Release Date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the smartphone market. So it's a market in which, to try to succeed, the least you need to have is a good smartphone at a competitive price. Is it really possible that someone does not understand this?!
    That depends on what qualifies as a good smartphone.

Most smartphones available today have big problems imo :
    They come with crap apps installed that I don't use, don't want, but can't remove
    They can be used to spy on me without my knowledge or consent

If the Librem phone :
    allows me to control what's on it and what not
    has voice and text messaging capabilities like a good quality dumb phone
    can use wifi & cell phone tech to connect
    can use standard software like browser, email client, messenger client of MY choice
    can physically disable the camera / microfone

It will be a very good phone that may be worth that 600 USD.

Someone who has delayed buying any smartphone for years now
    (2 were forced on me by employers, those have been used exclusively for job related things).

Comment

Originally posted by IreMinMon View Post
      Personally, the size is the reason I'm not buying this phone. I really want one but I hate everything above 4.5"
      you are marginal. according to market research, large screen size is the single most sought after feature of smartphone. i assume you've never tried to read something non-reflowing on 4 inch screen

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
        Are you serious?
        Hell, I can barely read PDFs even on my 7" Kindle Paperwhite.
        Seems like the wrong tool for the job.
        someone has to carry kindle for me, while i'm always carrying my smartphone
        obviously i'm using horizontal position, it's 1920 pixel wide - i assume larger, than your kindle
        and i increase scale to move margins out of screen
        and also phones are less square than kindle
        1920/388 gives 4.9485 inches wide
        1440/300 gives 4.8 inches wide, so you are in worse position even by physical size
        Last edited by pal666; 06 September 2018, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          someone has to carry kindle for me, while i'm always carrying my smartphone
          obviously i'm using horizontal position, it's 1920 pixel wide - i assume larger, than your kindle
          and i increase scale to move margins out of screen
          and also phones are less square than kindle
          1920/388 gives 4.9485 inches wide
          1440/300 gives 4.8 inches wide, so you are in worse position even by physical size
          Good point, putting it horizontal and removing the margins would make it much better.

However, readability is not only resolution and size but also contrast where the Kindle is superior (especially in daylight).
          Your correct with that no one wants to carry a kindle around in your pocket though.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
            However, readability is not only resolution and size but also contrast where the Kindle is superior (especially in daylight)
            that's true, but i try to avoid places with blinding light even when i'm not reading, so on kindle i'd need additional lighting most of the time

Comment

Originally posted by thecursedfly View Post

I'd like some source on this. Having backed the Jolla tablet myself, and having followed the situation as much as I could, I have never read that the manufacturer caused Jolla not to ship the tablets for randomly deciding to slap Android on them.
              What I understood is that:
              - there were several delays due to issues in the manufacturing process and a display quality issue
              - Jolla ran out of money and couldn't pay the already manufactured tablets (only a small batch reached Jolla and went to the first backers)
              - therefore the vendor had to still sell them in some way via alternative channels
              - Android was the default OS for that hardware, in fact there were multiple similar tablets to that one (ex. Aigo X86), so they simply sold them with Android

Jolla was unlucky with the manufacturing delays, but also did not plan their finances well enough to account for the unexpected. So they risked too much with other people's money.
              To say it's all fault of the manufacturer is false imo. Unless, sources can back that up.
              It was an unfortunate series of events, Jolla was late with the payment but not very late and when they was about to pay the manufacturer wasn't able to finish the deal anymore.
              Jolla was able to get hold of a few tablets that got shipped out.
              The Jolla ordered tablets got shipped with android by Chinese retailer.
              It's hard for a small company to pull it all of since they have no reserves of founding and can't place just orders for low volumes that's financially viable and many manufactures has min orders of 10000-20000 units.
              What followed after was another unfortunate chain of events, Jolla has had some tough times but that's to be expected from a small company in that business trying to make it against the giant competition.
              It's hard to make everything come together at the right time and Jolla learned their lesson, i think they wanted to do more than they were able to pull of.
              Last edited by Nille_kungen; 06 September 2018, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
                As if Plasma were even marginally ready...
                Sorry? Plasma Mobile is a LOT more usable than GNOME at this moment...

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  you are marginal. according to market research, large screen size is the single most sought after feature of smartphone. i assume you've never tried to read something non-reflowing on 4 inch screen
                  People want large screen size, but in a compact form factor. I'm personally quite surrounded with people who refuse to buy larger phones.
                  I almost never give my phone full attention. I usually call or text people when I'm working on something else at the same time, so two-handed usage is out of question for me. Reading pdfs? I print it all out. I've ruined enough of my eyesight with computer screens, I only really still use them for reading webpages.

Comment

LoneVVolf - I have exactly the same thoughts about smart phones and the Librem as you. It's almost creepy as it looks like something I would have written.

Comment

Originally posted by IreMinMon View Post

Are there still people who care about hardware performance in a phone?
                      I use Samsung Galaxy Xcover 2 (2013) with dual core CPU, because it's reasonably sized (4") and it doesn't get in my way (glass doesn't break in the first week). Hell, if it had 16GB storage, LTE support and wasn't stuck on Android 4.0 I doubt I'd even consider making the switch in the next 2-3 years.
                      Until April of this year, I was still using my LG G2, which was released on October of 2013, it is running Android 4.4, but in the last 6 months prior replacing it, the battery was way beyond its 1k recharges lifespan, it would die after 4~6h idling, just running background process, it was rebooting periodically, crashes were becoming common, it was a constant patience exercise.

Although I still think it's snapdragon 800 a viable soc for daily uses, the rest of the hardware was giving up already.

Now I have a Nokia 8, it is a 2017 high end phone and I hope I can use it for as much as I did to my old LG

Comment

Working...
                      X