Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purism Pushes Back The Librem 5 Linux Smartphone Release Date

Phoronix: Purism Pushes Back The Librem 5 Linux Smartphone Release Date

We knew it was pretty much inevitable, but Purism's embargo has just expired confirming the news that the Librem 5 smartphone will not be released in January as originally planned...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm not to worried about a late release but rather missing functionality.

Comment

Other i.MX8 boards are also dragging out. I was supposed to get my WandPi 8m this "spring". Haven't heard anything, but this sounds like an explanation.
      Last edited by andreano; 04 September 2018, 01:15 PM.

Comment

We knew it was pretty much inevitable,
        Yup.

Purism is announcing today that there's been a three-month delay in releasing the Librem 5 GNU/Linux smartphone. The new release plan is to begin shipping the units in April 2019.
        Not gonna happen.

I hope they keep on pushing forward despite the setbacks. It's an epic undertaking making a phone. Good luck to them!

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
          Other i.MX8 boards are also dragging out. I was supposed to get my WandPi 8m this "spring". Haven't heard anything!
          So you're saying it's not really Librem fault for setting their expectations too high, but rather issues with the boards?

Comment

Jolla also learned it the hard way with the tablet project. I don't care about the delay, but hope they won't drop the project altogether like Jolla did, and something will come out eventually.

Comment

I hope that when they definitely launch the phone in April, if they don't have the GNOME stack ready, they at least use Plasma Mobile in the meanwhile... (and not push the date further just because GNOME is not ready)

Comment

I was worried it would be a silly reason, or one which would reflect poorly on Purism. Looks like it's an honest vendor issue.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                  I was worried it would be a silly reason, or one which would reflect poorly on Purism. Looks like it's an honest vendor issue.
                  The vast majority of such issues are caused by hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    I hope that when they definitely launch the phone in April, if they don't have the GNOME stack ready, they at least use Plasma Mobile in the meanwhile... (and not push the date further just because GNOME is not ready)
                    As far as I know you'll be able to - as with any other decent Linux distro - interchange the desktop environment. Pretty small deal what they'll be shipping preinstalled, if you ask me.

Comment

Working...
                    X