Ubuntu Now Shipping On The Dell Precision 5530 Developer Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    Well for Michael, it always goes like: anything newer = better. No questions asked. It's a recurring theme.
    ... except that in this case, he didn't say that it should ship with a newer Ubuntu version, he said that it isn't yet an OPTION. So they could ship it with 16.04 by default, but still optionally ship 18.04 if the customer selects 18.04, that's what Michael was aiming at.

Comment

Actually it would be better if it shipped with polished ubuntu 18.04, better yet, Kubuntu 18.04. Anyway, how else can *buntu 18.04 get better if it wouldn't be used as default more? But yeah I am also waiting for amd and vega option, Nvidia Optimus is still a headache...

Comment

Waiting for Dell to put a Ryzen 2500U in a developer edition.

I would have bought the Acer Aspire 3 if they had a way to update UEFI under Linux and it had a bright IPS screen – things that Dell does better than Acer.

Comment

Originally posted by hernil View Post
          Writing this from a i9, 32gb P2000 version of the 5530 running Kubuntu 18.04. A couple of tweaks were needed but now it runs perfectly! Even battery life is over 10 hours on the 97Wh battery with TLP and some powertop tweaks.
          Does it have an Alps touchpad? What driver does it use? My 7530 does, and I can't find a way to make it work.

Is there perhaps some "alps" or "glidepoint" in lsmod or the installed packages? Or, an lshw could be enough.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by hernil View Post
            Writing this from a i9, 32gb P2000 version of the 5530 running Kubuntu 18.04. A couple of tweaks were needed but now it runs perfectly! Even battery life is over 10 hours on the 97Wh battery with TLP and some powertop tweaks.

I'm really happy, and wish I could've supported the Sputnik initiative by buying it with Linux from the get go.
            Does it have an Alps touchpad? Driver? I have a 7530, and I don't see how to make it work.

Could you perhaps take a look if something like "alps" or "glidepoint" appear in lsmod or the installed packages?
            Or maybe post an lshw?

Thanks!

Comment

Great news! I've been waiting for a high quality, good looking and Linux friendly laptop for development work.

One thing that is a bit disappointing is that in order to avoid Nvidia graphics you have to select the lowest spec i5. Which in the end is fine I guess since the i5-8300H seems to be plenty powerful.

Comment

Count me in on the waiting list for a version of this Dell with AMD inside.

Off topic:

Because of the import tax in my country, the configured version which costs US$ 3k, would cost US$ 7.38k here

Comment

Working...
                X