X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackiwid
    replied
    Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
    All this talk about what should be installed and if Ubuntu is a good distro or not is ignoring one very big reality, namely that Ubuntu has by far the best hardware compatibility of any distro currently available. I like Manjaro and Solus and have used them in a few systems I have but the sad truth is that Ubuntu is the only distro I have found that works flawlessly with the audio chipset on the motherboards I have tried Linux with. Fedora, Manjaro, Solus, OpenSuse, et al, all have problems, such as garbled audio, static, popping during start up and shutdown (Fedora is the worst with regards to audio popping), to the point where the distos are for all intents useless.

Yet Ubuntu, on the exact same hardware, works sans any problem.
    That's called anecdotal evidence, I would be very careful to make such absolute statements. I happend to had in fedora 19 the right mesa version to use AMD VDPAU support with the right version of kodi, which ubuntu followed only half a year later. Maybe with a ppa of mesa or something you could have done the same but that doesn't count because I am sure that you also can make your audio problems go away with some modification or ppa like thing in the other distros, too. Except canonical uses a secret propriatary fork of the kernel parts or pulseaudio, which would be new to me.

Especially if you want always the newest default amd or intel driver which is the foss version you get as example always better support out of the box and generally with fedora than with ubuntu.

Ubuntu sometimes has a small edge (means you have to maybe invest a bit time to figure out what to do on other distries) when it comes down to proprietary software, but that's pretty much it.

A claim that in generall they support hardware better with free software drivers would need to be supported by evidence 1 case of 1 hardware where you had more luck with canonical than with other distros is not enough for that, there could be 100 other hardware components where it's the opposite.

Also the fact that you say "opensuse" without specifying which of the 2 different products from them the lts like thing or the other implies that you talk bullshit, also your selection of distries at all, they seem to be all very bleeding edge distries fedora majaro and not sure about Solus, they are to new and it's a 1 mann project as far as I know where 1 dude does 90% of the work, opensuse is also a very strange distro. And if I had to guess it was a regression in newer linux kernels, because most distros you mentioned are very bleeding edge with newer version of kernel and other software, except if you used the opensuse version that is lts like? so with the right lts version of opensuse or a debian stable or whatever you probably would not run into your problem, but that's just a guess.

I would invest the problem deeper before I would use it to make a general statement about several distribution, what does a bugreport to your problem say in another distribution. Of course it's your right to not invest that time, but then I either would not use that as a argument or would be very specific that this was only anectdotal evidence of 1 hardware component, and not make a generalization out of it.
    Last edited by blackiwid; 19 August 2018, 05:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Spooktra
    replied
    All this talk about what should be installed and if Ubuntu is a good distro or not is ignoring one very big reality, namely that Ubuntu has by far the best hardware compatibility of any distro currently available. I like Manjaro and Solus and have used them in a few systems I have but the sad truth is that Ubuntu is the only distro I have found that works flawlessly with the audio chipset on the motherboards I have tried Linux with. Fedora, Manjaro, Solus, OpenSuse, et al, all have problems, such as garbled audio, static, popping during start up and shutdown (Fedora is the worst with regards to audio popping), to the point where the distos are for all intents useless.

Yet Ubuntu, on the exact same hardware, works sans any problem.

Leave a comment:

• creative
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Debian derivatives are a waste of human resources and ubuntu is from dummies to dummies. Modern computers and computing requires a rolling release distribution and Debian testing/sid is the best.
    Two obtuse.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

You are kidding right? The average computer user doesn't give a damn about having the very latest version of i.e XCalc.
    You're right, they don't care. That's why Microsoft and Google (Android) need to stop pushing their frequent app updates through their app stores.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
    Asus do not waste time with EndlessOS, if you want to be taken seriously as a Linux vendor get in touch with Canonical, certify and preinstall Ubuntu LTS on your fine ultrabooks such as Zenbook and Zenbook Pro lines. I like Asus in general, reliable and usually easy to dissasemble, their laptops tend to be highly compatible with Linux anyway but it would be nice to see Zenbooks preinstalled with Ubuntu LTS.
    Asus always wastes their time with small Linux's. Remember Xandros on the Asus Eee PC's?

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by MeissnerEffect View Post

That's a funny way to spell Arch
    * OpenSUSE Tumbleweed

Leave a comment:

• icewater
    replied
    Why on earth would your big splashy screenshot be of Xandros instead of EndlessOS?

Leave a comment:

• Leopard
    replied
    Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
    This "recommendation" is nothing if they distribute laptop with Linux. Did you say that you want to get support for the OS they distributing laptop with?
    They distribute their laptops ( which also is the case for FX553VD ) with Windows installed or EndlessOS installed because , laptops of them going through country markets either their official channels or third party resellers.

Laptops you find on a physicial tech market are Windows only , however laptops you buy from internet or third party sellers are coming with EndlessOS mostly.

Because they offer Windows 10 N versions , which means single language ( country language ) included Windows 10's.

So TL DR ; that is just a workaround because of their Windows licenses , with EndlessOS you don't need to care for language yet you can offer somewhat functional laptop to users at first sight.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
    How do you know — did you try contacting them? What was the case, and what they replied?
    Afaik Dell does the same for their Ubuntu LTS installations on their laptops.

Customer support is very dumb stuff for dumb people, like how to open network and configure a static IP and such. I kinda understand that they don't want to spend money to train their cheap indian workers for another OS too.

Leave a comment:

• Hi-Angel
    replied
    Originally posted by Leopard View Post

1-) Yes ,i did. I was told they recommend Windows 10 Pro instead of it.

2-) You can check the page.

Driven by innovation & committed to quality, ASUS has a wide selection of best in class products. Find & buy a laptop, phone, router, monitor, motherboard & more

Look at the top right.
    This "recommendation" is nothing if they distribute laptop with Linux. Did you say that you want to get support for the OS they distributing laptop with?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X