Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aaahaaap
    replied
    Does anyone know why fwupd/LVFS uses a separate repository to download from instead of downloading from a distro's repos like we already do for all packages?

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    https://fwupd.org/vendorlist

Vendors include Dell, Lenovo, HP, Intel.
    Notably absent is AMD, Asus, Asrock and Gigabyte.
    AMD has nothing to update, the only thing Intel is using LVFS for is for the Thunderbolt firmware.

This is more for OEMs (that actually make a device firmware) than IC designers/manufacturers.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied

Vendors include Dell, Lenovo, HP, Intel.
    Notably absent is AMD, Asus, Asrock and Gigabyte.

If I were to buy a laptop it would be a Dell XPS.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
    For a second I thought LVFS was yet another filesystem. Thank god it wasn't.
    More filesystems for the Linux god!

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Schugy View Post
    Thanks for the news. My Ideapad G50-45 that was once sold with FreeDOS will never get Spectre and Meltdown fixes then.
    Vendor: LENOVO Version: A2CN23WW(V1.05) Release Date: 07/08/2014
    All normal distros load updated CPU microcodes on boot if available, and the G50-45 is using an AMD processor so it is not affected by Meltdown.

Besides, it's a sub-500$ laptop, you should be already be happy that they didn't fuck up the firmware so bad that Linux kernel panics on boot (as happens way too frequently with HP laptops nowadays).

EDIT: for the sake of making it more clear, I mean that unless you are using a nutjob distro your laptop will be OK even if the board firmware will never be upgraded again.
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 06 August 2018, 08:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Milan Kerslager
    replied
    Originally posted by Schugy View Post
    Thanks for the news. My Ideapad G50-45 that was once sold with FreeDOS will never get Spectre and Meltdown fixes then.
    Fix for Meltdown, Spectre depends on availability of the processor firmware update. Not on BIOS update even BIOS may upload update at the very beginning of the booting sequence. Later, when system is running, there is microcode update in Linux and Windows too.

Leave a comment:

• AsuMagic
    replied
    For a second I thought LVFS was yet another filesystem. Thank god it wasn't.

Leave a comment:

• dremon_nl
    replied
    On Ubuntu 18.04 (fwupd 1.0.6-2) it worked out of the box for my ThinkPad T470s.
    Correctly detected a running system, found a firmware and updated it to the recent version without any issues.
    Simply amazing, wow.

Leave a comment:

• mskarbek
    replied
    Support for Linux on HP laptops is non-existent. In work, I'm forced to use HP ZBook Mobile Workstation, with the G3 version they pretended, with G4 they stopped even pretending and officially dropped support for Linux. Firmware updates require Windows and .Net framework for anything other then UEFI, fortunately, UEFI can be updated form the UEFI itself.

Leave a comment:

• Schugy
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X