Purism Shares Latest Librem 5 Phone Hardware Plans, Software Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purism Shares Latest Librem 5 Phone Hardware Plans, Software Progress

Phoronix: Purism Shares Latest Librem 5 Phone Hardware Plans, Software Progress

Purism has shared another routine status update on their software and hardware efforts around the Librem 5 smartphone efforts...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

720×1440 and 5.7″

What, really? That's worse than Nexus 5 from five years ago, which has 1080x1920 and way more reasonable size (4.95"). 5.7" is huge, while resolution is low. No 802.11ac is also quite bad. May be it's just a development model and not the final specs?

UPDATE:

Nope, looks like a final design: https://developer.puri.sm/Apps/Const...ml#constraints

That's very upsetting. I was considering buying it, but such huge screen with such low resolution sounds like a bad idea.
    Last edited by shmerl; 03 August 2018, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Lol , what a disaster. People won't care about Wifi AC but screen is one of the most important parts of a phone yet it's not even FHD

Comment

They write that low resolution is due to the need to reduce heat generation. Still, it's a major downside.

Comment

Personal opinion: I prefer a bigger screen, so 5.7" is great. Also, I don't care for screen resolution higher than 1440 px; it only consumes more battery for little to no gain imo.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            They write that low resolution is due to the need to reduce heat generation. Still, it's a major downside.
            Then they should invest for a much effective cooling solution - chasis design.

Problem with projects like this is , they really don't know what users value most or less.

Heating on phones is a reality , even on high end phones like Iphone or Samsung's flagships.

Also high resolutions and crazy high ppi's are a reality. People look at that damn screens every seconds , for texting , reading , playing games , consuming media via Youtube etc.

That is just a flop , nothing more. Don't invest money if you really care about your money.

Sure , being open source and secure are good but when you lack most basic things ; these are not important for customers.

First ; make a good phone.

Second ; make a decent software and improve it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
              Sure , being open source and secure are good but when you lack most basic things ; these are not important for customers.
              I buy it because it has upstream kernel support and somewhat reasonably useful hardware for a modern smartphone. I don't care about the resolution of the display to be honest.

I mean seriously what did you expect a competitor to samsung or apple? People who buy such phones are not their target audience. This is their first device, and they focus on freedom not on super specs so this was to be expected

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post
                I buy it because it has upstream kernel support and somewhat reasonably useful hardware for a modern smartphone. I don't care about the resolution of the display to be honest.

I mean seriously what did you expect a competitor to samsung or apple? People who buy such phones are not their target audience. This is their first device, and they focus on freedom not on super specs so this was to be expected
                I don't expect them to being rival with Apple or Samsung.

That is not being in line with mid range smart phones.

Sure , you can support them but with that kind of product they won't last long. Because people like you ( a niche of a even deeper niche ) are not that much and that is just a business.

Comment

I want to see the software running before judging. I'll be ok with the low resolution if it means less heat and longer battery life.

Comment

My honest opinion about this Librem 5 phone project: this is the same as the process of the city of Munich adopting Linux.

Both are/were so badly conceived and done/implemented that it almost seems like they were conceived to fail right from the beginning, so they could be examples of the failing of open source.

Comment

Working...
                    X