PowerTOP Still Worthwhile For Extending Linux Battery Life In 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PowerTOP Still Worthwhile For Extending Linux Battery Life In 2018

Phoronix: PowerTOP Still Worthwhile For Extending Linux Battery Life In 2018

Intel's open-source PowerTOP utility has been around for more than a decade now for aiming to extend the battery life of x86 Linux laptops. Following the recent Linux laptop battery life benchmarks of various distributions, a Phoronix Premium patron was asking whether PowerTOP still makes a difference with 2018 Linux distributions... Here are some fresh test results.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I run `powertop --auto-tune` each boot with a simple systemd service. As long as there are no problems with the hardware I don't see a reason why not to.

Comment

I usually make a script from powertop (e.g. also via the html export) and use that during startup (on desktops, thin clients and laptops alike). Savings vary, but aside from a few pesky USB devices I didn't notice any drawbacks.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Care to benchmark powertop vs laptop-mode-tools vs TLP?

Comment

I couldn't do --auto-tune since my wireless USB devices would get disconnected all the time with the auto sleep feature of USB devices.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
            I run `powertop --auto-tune` each boot with a simple systemd service. As long as there are no problems with the hardware I don't see a reason why not to.
            Originally posted by Adarion View Post
            I usually make a script from powertop (e.g. also via the html export) and use that during startup (on desktops, thin clients and laptops alike). Savings vary, but aside from a few pesky USB devices I didn't notice any drawbacks.
            Isn't it easier to just install tlp?

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
            I couldn't do --auto-tune since my wireless USB devices would get disconnected all the time with the auto sleep feature of USB devices.
            You can tell tlp to enable powersaving for everything but few devices you listed in it's config.

Comment

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
              Try TLP, as it can be configured if you have troubles with some settings, starts automatically at boot, and allows for different settings for when switching between AC/battery.

Comment

Yes, TLP is the way to go. It significantly improves battery life of my Lenovo IdeaPad with its low-capacity 32 Wh battery but doesn't have the drawbacks of powertop (make your own startup service, aggressive USB power saving or the need of cherrypicking power-saving options).

Comment

I found just installing laptop_mode_tools it did just about the right thing. It tunes powersaving more aggresively when on battery, but doesn't turn off things like my mouse.
                  I always feel that something like this should be automatically installed, as by default it doesn't do anything on desktops.

Because out of the box, linux powermanagement is always just plain bad.

Comment

I keep forgetting to get this for my laptop. Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

Working...
                    X