Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung Galaxy S Support With The Linux 4.19 Kernel

Phoronix: Samsung Galaxy S Support With The Linux 4.19 Kernel

Just in case you have your hands still on the Samsung Galaxy S or Galaxy S 4G that were released back in 2010 as once high-end Android smartphones, they have DeviceTree support with the upcoming Linux 4.19 kernel cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But I guess there is still no support for using that SGX chip for hardware acceleration, is there?

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
      But I guess there is still no support for using that SGX chip for hardware acceleration, is there?
      Sadly not.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

This is great! I hope more modern models like the Galaxy S3, S4, S5, etc... get this kind of support too, since they are stuck on older kernels, is also sad that Samsung doesn't provides Vulkan support for older models that are capable of it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
          This is great! I hope more modern models like the Galaxy S3, S4, S5, etc... get this kind of support too, since they are stuck on older kernels, is also sad that Samsung doesn't provides Vulkan support for older models that are capable of it.
          I think SGS3 has similar SoC to ODROID-X and ODROID-X is supported by mainline kernel except for the closed source Samsung bootloader blobs.

Comment

Check out the PostMarketOS Project to read about progress on mainline various mobile devices.
            Originally posted by caligula View Post

I think SGS3 has similar SoC to ODROID-X
            Exynos 4412 in both cases
            Last edited by bemerk; 19 July 2018, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Is this intended for use with Android or for installing an ARM Linux distro?

Comment

It's definitely intended for an ARM Linux distro (Debian and Arch are both confirmed working), although the hope is to eventually get PostMarketOS or similar working.

There's still a bunch of peripherals that aren't working yet (camera, audio, magnetic sensor, and yes, the SGX540) plus there's a bunch that are working but not yet submitted to mainline. Check out https://github.com/PabloPL/linux if you're interested or https://github.com/xc-racer99/u-boot-galaxys4g/ for the u-boot port.

Also, there is indeed mainline support for the SGS3 under the codename of midas that's in much better shape and was actually one of the inspirations for this project.

Comment

Working...
                X