No announcement yet.

System76 Moves Ahead With Preparing To Manufacture Their Own Desktop Linux PCs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Moves Ahead With Preparing To Manufacture Their Own Desktop Linux PCs

Phoronix: System76 Moves Ahead With Preparing To Manufacture Their Own Desktop Linux PCs

Back in April 2017 was the announcement that System76 would begin designing and manufacturing their own systems beginning with desktops and to be followed at a later date by their own laptops, rather than relying upon whitebox designs that they currently retail with their Ubuntu/Pop!_OS-loaded PCs. The Colorado-based company is inching closer to fully realizing their goal...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is actually great news, I hope this company keeps growing and positioning Linux on the market!

Comment

Agreed, I will certainly be thinking about them for my next laptop. Lenovo is getting a little bit disappointing these days.

Comment

Great news for Linux and good to see things being manufactured in the USA.

Comment

Still waiting for a non-pop firmware updater

Comment

Do they have plan to sell risc v or arm products ?

Comment

Hopefully the cost for these linux systems are equal to, or less than, Windows OEM builds of comparable specs; they probably won't carve out much market share for themselves if they aren't. I mean, I guess if they had a massive advertising budget and could control the minds of the admittedly many impressionable consumers in the US it'd still be possible.
              Last edited by kenjitamura; 17 July 2018, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Does this mean they will be able to support AMD hardware now?

Comment

Why do they keep emphasizing "in the US"? Is that some stupid MAGA crap, or does it just mean they're happy it's closer to their main offices?

Hopefully, this means they can work on using more hardware with proper opensource drivers.

Comment

Who gives a fuck if it's in the US or in Antartica if the product is fucking good.

Linux has too much competition to afford being hindered by such trivial petty bullshit.

A friend of Linux is a friend of mine.

Comment

Working...
                    X