System76 Moves Ahead With Preparing To Manufacture Their Own Desktop Linux PCs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
    Why do they keep emphasizing "in the US"? Is that some stupid MAGA crap, or does it just mean they're happy it's closer to their main offices?
    I'm sure it means they are secretly Trump supporters, I mean really...

They are probably just excited that they can get away with not having to deal with dumbass treacherous chinese OEMs that don't give a shit about their needs and can only read english through Baidu translate.

Because that's what offshore manufacturing is unless you are HP, Dell or other big brands.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
      Why do they keep emphasizing "in the US"? Is that some stupid MAGA crap, or does it just mean they're happy it's closer to their main offices?

Hopefully, this means they can work on using more hardware with proper opensource drivers.
      You know, all things being equal, there is really nothing inherently wrong with the MAGA notion. And if they stress that it's "Made in the US", maybe it's because some people in the US will be happy to buy products that generate local jobs, rather than near-slave labour in China?

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
        Does this mean they will be able to support AMD hardware now?
        I really hope so. I've been waiting for a decently-designed AMD laptop from ages.
        For now they have "heavy" manufacturing equipment only suitable for desktops though, although I would not really turn down a bulky crude-looking laptop if its specs are good and has a decent price for what it is.

Comment

System76 sells GNU/Linux systems. Linux is just a kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
            Congratulations! you just won the "nitpicking post of the week" award! Please come by next week too and try your luck again! Rich prizes await!

Comment

Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
              The Church of Emacs approves of this message.

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
                Hopefully the cost for these linux systems are equal to, or less than, Windows OEM builds of comparable specs; they probably won't carve out much market share for themselves if they aren't. I mean, I guess if they had a massive advertising budget and could control the minds of the admittedly many impressionable consumers in the US it'd still be possible.
                Low volume specialized products are not likely to be equally or lower priced - the main reason everyone sticks their own label on a common ODM's product (with all the compromises that brings) is to benefit from high volume production and the associated lower pricing.

Advertising has to be covered by product cost as well - so advertising driven marketing tends to work best when you have an inherently high margin business. The PC business is exactly the opposite of that, unfortunately.
                Last edited by bridgman; 18 July 2018, 08:17 PM.
                Test signature

Comment

Hopefully the cost for these linux systems are equal to, or less than, Windows OEM builds of comparable specs; they probably won't carve out much market share for themselves if they aren't. I mean, I guess if they had a massive advertising budget and could control the minds of the admittedly many impressionable consumers in the US it'd still be possible.
                  Seeing how the economics of scale most definitely affect computers and the cost of a Windows license is typically offset by pre-installed bloatware I seriously doubt these machines will cost less or the same as equal spec Windows machines (unless System76 is prepared to work off lower margins). I'd like to be highly optimistic about this endeavor, but my, admittedly very surface-level, business analysis of System76's tells me it's not a business I'd personally want to invest in if I was looking for a good monetary return on investment.

However it would seem like they're not going to do much beyond assembling machines out of off-the-shelf parts with some minor 3D printed bits and bobs so there may still be a self-sustaining business in that. However you shouldn't get too exited over the 3D printer as the tech isn't quite ready for proper volume production meaning that 3D printed parts are going to be pretty minor or then built-to-order extras.

Comment

You mean they're gonna actually manufacture something and not just resell Clevo notebooks?

Comment

Apple already does that, and it seems to work pretty well...

Comment

Working...
                      X