Dell Precision 7530/7730 Now Shipping With Ubuntu Linux Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    To be fair, people buying the "default" configs will most likely want Windows.
    Which is the reason why Windows still is the default choice as it should, hiding it however is a bit excessive IMO.

Comment

If you can live with a dongle for the ethernet port, you can look at the LG Gram 2018. It has two m.2 slots for SSDs, microsd slot and one slot for RAM modules. Afaik the wifi is soldered.

And is probably the only ultrabook around that is not a complete bitch to open for hardware upgrades.
      Interesting. Crucial says it can be maxed at 20GB of RAM. Every other ultraportable has been stuck at 16GB since 2011ish. I'd also need a vga dongle, for presentations.

Comment

If you can live with a dongle for the ethernet port, you can look at the LG Gram 2018. It has two m.2 slots for SSDs, microsd slot and one slot for RAM modules. Afaik the wifi is soldered.

And is probably the only ultrabook around that is not a complete bitch to open for hardware upgrades.
        I had take a look at the X230 of that guy, and what a neat device. It can have all upgrades you want on a notebook, weights only 1.35 kg. All of that because it didn't try to follow the fad of the Macbook Air.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          I had take a look at the X230 of that guy, and what a neat device. It can have all upgrades you want on a notebook, weights only 1.35 kg. All of that because it didn't try to follow the fad of the Macbook Air.
          Thinkpads (lines T and P, also A for AMD ones) are currently some of the last forts of non-ultra-slim and high-port-count laptop design. Apparently the A line has the only ones sub-14''.

ssam Looking at the A line again.. did you see the A275? https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptop.../p/22TP2TA2750 I have no idea of how its processor compares to the one in your current laptop, but checks all the boxes (apart from the VGA port which is on its way out in modern laptops anyway)

I'm currently waiting for the A485 https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptop...es/c/thinkpada to show up in the wild to see if it is really as nice as it seems on paper.
          Last edited by starshipeleven; 04 July 2018, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Thinkpads (lines T and P, also A for AMD ones) are currently some of the last forts of non-ultra-slim and high-port-count laptop design. Apparently the A line has the only ones sub-14''.

ssam Looking at the A line again.. did you see the A275? https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptop.../p/22TP2TA2750 I have no idea of how its processor compares to the one in your current laptop, but checks all the boxes (apart from the VGA port which is on its way out in modern laptops anyway)

I'm currently waiting for the A485 https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptop...es/c/thinkpada to show up in the wild to see if it is really as nice as it seems on paper.
            The A275 uses the same body as the X270 (so still has reasonable connectivity). I'm pretty sure the A285 will use the X280 body and loose most of the ports. A485 looks like a T480 body. I'd rather not be carrying a 14/15 inch laptop around everyday, so its a shame no one makes 12" work stations any more.

Comment

Originally posted by ssam View Post

The A275 uses the same body as the X270 (so still has reasonable connectivity). I'm pretty sure the A285 will use the X280 body and loose most of the ports. A485 looks like a T480 body. I'd rather not be carrying a 14/15 inch laptop around everyday, so its a shame no one makes 12" work stations any more.
              If you are willing to give them a chance, there is Dell and HP enterprise laptops that make Lenovo look like a traitor to the cause:

G4 follows after G1, G2, and G3! We review the latest HP EliteBook 820 with i7 processor, and FHD display. How well does the smallest HP EliteBook perform in comparison to the ProBooks from the same manufacturer and competitors.

Look at all those ports and dual RAM connectors :-) The newest G5 got the quadcore Intel but lost the VGA port, tough.

Notebookcheck is by far the best source to look and compare for new laptops. Their reviews are super complete and consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

If you are willing to give them a chance, there is Dell and HP enterprise laptops that make Lenovo look like a traitor to the cause:

G4 follows after G1, G2, and G3! We review the latest HP EliteBook 820 with i7 processor, and FHD display. How well does the smallest HP EliteBook perform in comparison to the ProBooks from the same manufacturer and competitors.

Look at all those ports and dual RAM connectors :-) The newest G5 got the quadcore Intel but lost the VGA port, tough.

Notebookcheck is by far the best source to look and compare for new laptops. Their reviews are super complete and consistent.
                HP laptops are often trash even in the high end. Be VERY sure you check them for ACPI table issues. It's quite common for them to have so broken ACPI that critical features do not work on Linux, or you get a CPU core stuck at 100%, or similar.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

Yeah that's really dumb since it's just a 4GB RX560 with 896CUs.... and a different name on it essentially.
                  Ordered it anyway and can confirm that the Radeon WX 4150 works perfectly (kernel 4.17).

It's glorious to have a laptop with performant graphics on open source drivers.

Comment

Oh cool I just saw your post. It's good to know that it works really well.

Comment

Working...
                    X