Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Precision 7530/7730 Now Shipping With Ubuntu Linux Option

Phoronix: Dell Precision 7530/7730 Now Shipping With Ubuntu Linux Option

Announced back in May were several new Dell Precision laptops pre-loaded with Ubuntu Linux. The Dell Precision 7530 and 7730 from that batch are now shipping with Ubuntu as a factory option...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"The Dell Precision 7530 is a 13-inch mobile workstation" : No, it's 15"-inch...

Comment

Can't currently configure the Radeon graphics option. Too bad; would love to use this with open source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by jasondclinton View Post
        Can't currently configure the Radeon graphics option. Too bad; would love to use this with open source drivers.
        That's really dumb... since the WS4150 is basically just an 896CU RX560

Comment

Originally posted by jasondclinton View Post
          Yeah that's really dumb since it's just a 4GB RX560 with 896CUs.... and a different name on it essentially.

Comment

It has a pointing stick(trackpoint)... nice.

Comment

Originally posted by stratic View Post
              "The Dell Precision 7530 is a 13-inch mobile workstation"
              A 13" with an ethernet port, SD card, upgradeable RAM. Too good to me true :-(

I guess i'll just stick with my 5 year old thinkpad x230.

Comment

Sweet, you actually save $107 for going with Ubuntu!

Something not so sweet however is that the default 5 visible choices are all Windows and you have to press a very small "more" button to see the Ubuntu alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
                  Sweet, you actually save $107 for going with Ubuntu!

Something not so sweet however is that the default 5 visible choices are all Windows and you have to press a very small "more" button to see the Ubuntu alternative.
                  To be fair, people buying the "default" configs will most likely want Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by ssam View Post

A 13" with an ethernet port, SD card, upgradeable RAM. Too good to me true :-(

I guess i'll just stick with my 5 year old thinkpad x230.
                    If you can live with a dongle for the ethernet port, you can look at the LG Gram 2018. It has two m.2 slots for SSDs, microsd slot and one slot for RAM modules. Afaik the wifi is soldered.

And is probably the only ultrabook around that is not a complete bitch to open for hardware upgrades.

Comment

Working...
                    X