Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jolla's Sailfish OS Ported To The Gemini PDA

Phoronix: Jolla's Sailfish OS Ported To The Gemini PDA

While the popularity of Jolla's Sailfish OS seems to be waning, if you are interested in their Linux-based, partially open-source software stack, it's now available on the Gemini PDA device...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's the ETA for them open sourcing their stack?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Never. They are liars.

Comment

While the popularity of Jolla's Sailfish OS seems to be waning
        I would not say it is waning. Basically Sailfish OS is one of the very few alternative mobile OSes that survived the past couple of years. Most other alternative platforms like Firefox OS, BlackBerry 10, and even Ubuntu Touch are dead now. It is very hard to compete with Android and iOS in the consumer space. So Jolla has decided to move to a mostly B2B model which allows them to stay in the game.

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        Most of "the stack" is already open source. See https://sailfishos.org/about to see a diagram of which components are open and which not. As a rule of thumb, the base system is completely open and is developed openly (also accepting community contributions), while the user interface is not. Over time some previously closed stuff (such as browser and the documents app) has been opened. Note that it is not just a question of pushing all the repos to GitHub, but more complicated (legal, etc).

They are just a very small team that tries to do their best.
        Give them some credit. Sailfish OS is actually a decent and good looking GNU/Linux system.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
          Note that it is not just a question of pushing all the repos to GitHub, but more complicated (legal, etc).
          It's been like that for years now. Sure, the core is open, but their UI and common applications are not. It's the main problem I have with them now, even though it is indeed good looking and has the best gesture based navigation that's way ahead of everything else. Taking this long to open it up shows that they don't want to seriously do it or don't have any resources to ever do it, either way it's a bad outcome.

Regarding the browser, not sure what is going on, it's been stuck with old Gecko for a long time. May be they should make one using Servo embedding.
          Last edited by shmerl; 26 June 2018, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post

I would not say it is waning. Basically Sailfish OS is one of the very few alternative mobile OSes that survived the past couple of years. Most other alternative platforms like Firefox OS, BlackBerry 10, and even Ubuntu Touch are dead now. It is very hard to compete with Android and iOS in the consumer space. So Jolla has decided to move to a mostly B2B model which allows them to stay in the game.

Most of "the stack" is already open source. See https://sailfishos.org/about to see a diagram of which components are open and which not. As a rule of thumb, the base system is completely open and is developed openly (also accepting community contributions), while the user interface is not. Over time some previously closed stuff (such as browser and the documents app) has been opened. Note that it is not just a question of pushing all the repos to GitHub, but more complicated (legal, etc).

They are just a very small team that tries to do their best.
            Give them some credit. Sailfish OS is actually a decent and good looking GNU/Linux system.
            Nice post, but FYI: Ubuntu Touch lives on here:

Ubuntu Touch - Linux on your phone! We are moving to gitlab! https://gitlab.com/ubports - UBports

As you can see from the Github repos, it's being actively developed by multiple people.

Your greater point still stands I think. Lots of attempts have been made to compete with iOS and Android and most of them either die or are whittled down into obscurity.

Comment

I have to agree with the "where's the OSS-ing" people. I'm a big supporter of Jolla, got their Jolla One and recently the Sony X. Their appstore is also stuck in the middle ages. There are many little easy-doable improvements on a lot of their closed source apps that just rub me the wrong way.

I just can't bring myself to support them by hacking on their code if there are major closed source (non-driver) components. Seems like volunteering my time for a corporate entity that would just make money off it without giving anything back.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
                I just can't bring myself to support them by hacking on their code if there are major closed source (non-driver) components. Seems like volunteering my time for a corporate entity that would just make money off it without giving anything back.
                People learned it the hard way with Maemo / Harmattan and Nokia which in the end was killed off by MS. If it's not open, someone can buy it or shut it down.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
                  There are many little easy-doable improvements on a lot of their closed source apps that just rub me the wrong way.
                  Do you have the list of these things somewhere? I'd be interested to see what annoys you.

Comment

I had high hopes for Jolla but man did they ever screw themselves.

By the way the high hopes came from the fact that Android isnt acceptable on many levels. First it is a rip off via corporate spying. Second the platform is there to serve the needs of Google and their desire to track every moment of you life.

This leaves us with IOS which i frankly like but it has significant problems when applied to the tablet space. Jolla had a lot of potential here but unfortunately they could pull of a transition to a big enough operation to put out acceptable hardware. I know about Ubuntu and that project they had going but it doesnt appear to be any better off than Jolla.

Comment

Working...
                    X