No announcement yet.

Soon It Might Be Possible To Finally Have A Nice ARM-Powered Linux Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How good is the Freedreno driver? As good as Nouveau driver atleast? AMD open source drivers? Intel open source drivers?

If not, then it's not feasible to use Linux desktop on something with an Adreno GPU (or any of the other ARM GPUs like Mali, Vivante etc.)

Comment

Low weight, moderate battery life, middling but not useless specs, not excessively expensive. The first three are well catered for, but the last condition has stopped my purchase of any new laptop in the past 3.5 years. I instead have something with moderate to high weight, moderate battery life, good specs and an already sunk cost. When I do need it, it performs very well, but it is not something I can carry with me all the time to just work something out right then and there.

Bring it on! (sorry not sorry for another me too post)

Comment

It would nice to see ARM based CPU's/SoCs driving graphics cards that are known to be x86 territory.

Comment

ARM laptops. Just in time for everyone to start wishing for RISC-V laptops! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
            So? The argument given was "Windows was not available on ARM until now". And that I proved wrong because of Windows RT. Whether or not it was full-fledged Windows 10 is a whole other story. My point still stands that Windows, in the form of RT, was available on ARM since 2012.
            With that logic Windows was a multi-architecture OS all along since Windows CE was available. But that does not mean that it was useful for notebooks. The original question was why nobody made such ARM notebooks before. The answer is that there was no Windows available apart from some mobile crap. And Windows RT was a failure before it even started.

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post
              With that logic Windows was a multi-architecture OS all along since Windows CE was available
              Not at all. Windows CE is very different from Windows.

Windows RT however was a straight port of Windows 8 to ARM. It could even run Win32 (after compiling for ARM) and .NET applications. However a jailbreak was needed to run non-Microsoft signed programs. That Windows RT ultimately failed in the marketplace after a total of 7 devices (2 from Microsoft and 1 device each from ASUS, Dell, Lenovo, Nokia, and Samsung) is inconsequential to Vistaus's argument.

Comment

Originally posted by LaeMing View Post
                ARM laptops. Just in time for everyone to start wishing for RISC-V laptops! ;-)
                On open hardware too.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                  I got a notice that Google is starting the deprecation of several ARM Chromebooks. My Samsung Exynos based Chromebook is hitting EOL and I have no recourse. I will have to bin it.
                  You know you can put any arm distro on any arm chromebook, right?
                  Just don't throw it away.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                    Last time I checked, ARM based Chromebooks do not qualify under Crostini. Only x86-64.

So while running Linux apps on ChromeOS may be a victory overall, those who bought into the ChromeOS on ARM platforms will be reaching the end of the road soon.

I got a notice that Google is starting the deprecation of several ARM Chromebooks. My Samsung Exynos based Chromebook is hitting EOL and I have no recourse. I will have to bin it.
                    The Samsung Chromebook Plus is reported to have Crostini, and that's ARM. (https://chromeunboxed.com/news/samsu...ps-dev-channel)

I have one but I've been running ArchLinux ARM as the primary OS, so I haven't checked.

Comment

Why? Microsoft. Some early Netbooks had ARM CPUs and were running Linux. Microsoft killed those off by threatening OEMs since Microsoft didn't have an ARM OS at the time that could compete. This was 2007-2009- pre-Chromebook era. It not for Microsoft's bullying anticompetitive tactics, world would be different.

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                      Thank god for this. Finally ARM laptops will be modern!

Why has it taken so long?

Comment

Working...
                      X