Linux 4.18 Addition Helps Dell + Thunderbolt Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by microcode View Post
    Sad that a standard set only a handful of years ago requires an even worse version of the User-Agent spoofing to function as expected.
    Embedded firmware development, keeping the 80s alive in the 21st century.

Comment

Originally posted by agronholm View Post
      I've heard reports that it doesn't work properly even on Windows.
      Me too, I went with USB-C docks for now (Dell WD15 and Belkin USB-C 3.1 Express Dock HD). I don't like that I limited to one display, but the fact that Belkin dock can charge and output image to the screen from anything with USB 3.1 support (including HP and Lenovo laptops with USB PD support) is more important for me now. Also, unlike Thunderbolt 3 docks, USB 3.1 docks is compatible with mobile hardware, like Dell 5855 and GPD Win 2.
      RussianNeuroMancer
      Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 16 June 2018, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Interesting, thanks. What about the display support? That is my primary use-case for the dock would be to drive two displays.
        I have a Dell Precision 5520 connected through a TB16 dock and DisplayPort to two UHD displayes. The Precision is running Kubuntu 18.04 with the latest staging PPA. I'm running under X11 as Wayland is missing (or very hard to set up) a lot of things that I still need such as screen scarping, remote X, and game support (hi Wine!).

I have the following comments about this setup:
        1. Displays work kind of OK - It can do UHD on both displays, but its kind of slow - not horrible, but its no fun moving windows around. Also missing fractional scaling and different screen scaling in X11 causes some interesting effects, especially as I want to continue using my laptop screen open.
        2. Anything other than displays requires updating the thunderbolt ACLs for each device, for which Linux doesn't have good tools yet. I'm using https://github.com/intel/thunderbolt...are-user-space which used to have a PPA but not anymore, and obviously there's no UI.
        3. There is some issue that comes and goes with the thunderbolt disconnecting occasionally and requires a reset (see bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1766076). This is with kernel 4.15, so hopefully the new kernel will help with that as well. Note that while the TB network and USB disconnects, the displays are still on - I'm guessing they don't use the thunderbolt protocol but the display-over-usb-c protocol.

Comment

Originally posted by Oded View Post
          1. Displays work kind of OK - It can do UHD on both displays, but its kind of slow - not horrible, but its no fun moving windows around
          Apparently this artifact is because I use the external monitors in portrait mode. If I run them in standard landscape mode - it works fine and the UI is very responsive. Must be a KWin issue.

Originally posted by Oded View Post
          2. Anything other than displays requires updating the thunderbolt ACLs for each device, for which Linux doesn't have good tools yet.
          Apparently, in Ubuntu 18.04 there's a new D-Bus service called "bolt" and an accompanying user mode tool "boltctl" that manage the Thunderbolt ACLs. There's still no UI, but this setup looks better and is more convenient than the old "tbtadm" command. It's important to note that if you have tbtadm managed devices, in order to manage them using boltctl, you need to remove them first from tbtadm before adding them in "bolt" - the implementations are not compatible.

Comment

Working...
          X