Purism Reaffirms Plans To Bring Librem 5 Smartphone To Market In January

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andreano View Post
    Is any product with the i.MX 8M chip shipping yet?

I preordered my WandPi 8M in february, supposed to be delivered this spring, but the latest estimate is the end of the month.
    I really wish there was another project using this chip. Recently, I have been eyeing the Pinebook running Plasma. I can't convince myself to drop the money on it due the pine board needing a blob for the graphics stack. But if it was running with an iMX8 chip on a mainline linux kernel + mesa.......I would buy three in a heartbeat!

....I can dream can't I?

edit: for spelling
    Last edited by Numeric; 06 June 2018, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post

If it has reached the equivalent of OpenGL ES 2.0 features I think it would be fine. This gives you WebGL ; not WebGL 2 but I'm not sure if anyone uses that.
      I also hope we don't need a computer that can run Crysis to draw a few rectangles or a 3D Earth.
      What OpenGL version is required for WebRender?

Comment

Originally posted by Numeric View Post

I really wish there was another project using this chip. Recently, I have been eyeing the Pinebook running Plasma. I can't convince myself to drop the money on it due the pine board needing a blob for the graphics stack. But if it was running with an iMX8 chip on a mainline linux kernel + mesa.......I would by three in a heartbeat!

....I can dream can't I?

edit: for spelling
        Maybe . There is a hope an open-source reverse-engineered driver for Mali-4xx GPUs https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/lima

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

What OpenGL version is required for WebRender?
          I have no idea, and no authoritative opinion on anything : )
          I had to check what WebRender really is and found this document that I found useful and concise
          https://github.com/servo/webrender/wiki

• Specialized renderer for web content.
            • Not a general purpose vector graphics API.
            • Complex items such as canvas can be rendered on CPU.
            • Make the common case fast.
          • Use GPU to do all rasterization where possible.
            • Items not well suited to GPU rasterizing can be drawn on the CPU and cached in textures.
          (...)
          This seems to indicate they won't require super complicated calculations to run on the GPU.

Default Librem browser is epiphany / Gnome Web anyhow, which is not from Mozilla.

Other interesting bits here, section called "Compositing"
          https://mozillagfx.wordpress.com/201...rowsers-today/
          Some browsers have their own compositor (Firefox, Chromium), while others (Edge, Safari) more closely integrate with the OS’s compositing window manager and delegate compositing layers to the latter. Nonetheless, all of these browsers have a notion of retained layers.
          (
          Chromium appears to be moving towards using DirectComposition on Windows which indicates they will delegate at least some of the compositing on windows at some point.)
          This has me wondering, if the Gnome browser used in the Librem 5 will be able to delegate compositing to the OS's own compositor? Avoiding a compositor in a compositor seems a good feature. Maybe not a short term priority (and not something I was thinking about). I wasn't aware this existed.
          Last edited by grok; 06 June 2018, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
            Default Librem browser is epiphany / Gnome Web anyhow, which is not from Mozilla.
            I wouldn't want to use that, and would be interested in building something like Servo based browserhtml for it.

Comment

If it's decent at blocking/sanitizing the web I would use it, for small uses but work or government related, webmail ; some other people mostly only need a browser as a youtube player.
              For long, huge, desktop-like sessions I would probably like installing something Firefox-based too, albeit I think even a low end laptop or decade old desktop is better for that.

The Gnome browser probably hardly ever reach the headlines but at least there's the Gnome organization behind it and by extension, Red Hat.
              My biggest interrogation with the overall plan is, will Gnome use much CPU for every little and not so little thing, and deplete the battery?, which will be the best incentive for maintainers to look after performance. But I appreciate the upside in that there's a built up and active infrastructure, and that it can't go away

Comment

Originally posted by Numeric View Post
                I really wish there was another project using this chip. … if it was running with an iMX8 chip on a mainline linux kernel + mesa.......I would buy three in a heartbeat!

....I can dream can't I?
                I'm also tempted by Nitrogen8M, DART-MX8M and Hummingboard Pulse but I bought 2 WandPis in a heartbeat :-P
                Last edited by andreano; 06 June 2018, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                  I would rather have 60% of Android functionality work really well, than 100% of Android and have it run like crap.
                  But Android proper does run like crap so technically 60% of 100% crap is still only crap. It's all because of Java.

Comment

The MNT Reform laptop team had talked about using the mx8 but it appears they used the mx6. However, it's a modular design so it should be possible to swap in other compute modules.
                    https://mntmn.com/reform/

Comment

Working...
                    X