Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purism Reaffirms Plans To Bring Librem 5 Smartphone To Market In January

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Purism Reaffirms Plans To Bring Librem 5 Smartphone To Market In January

    Phoronix: Purism Reaffirms Plans To Bring Librem 5 Smartphone To Market In January

    Linux hardware manufacturer Purism is reaffirming their commitment this morning to shipping the Librem 5 smart-phone in January...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...s-Librem-5-Jan

  • #2
    What's the story with OpenGL support there? And what about Vulkan? How are they going to run KWin without that?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      What's the story with OpenGL support there? And what about Vulkan? How are they going to run KWin without that?
      See our Etnaviv driver articles, that's the driver they'll be using. Right now Etnaviv is at ~GL2 though started work on NIR so eventually long-term might have Vulkan.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        This is awesome.. Looking forward to ditching my android for a brand spanking new Libre5

        Comment


        • #5
          As a former Ubuntu Touch tablet user, I hope they can get this right. Instead of shooting for the stars and trying to do everything from the start and making it clunky, I would rather they keep the basics intact and build upon it over time. I would rather have 60% of Android functionality work really well, than 100% of Android and have it run like crap.

          Comment


          • #6
            Is any product with the i.MX 8M chip shipping yet?

            I preordered my WandPi 8M in february, supposed to be delivered this spring, but the latest estimate is the end of the month.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Right now Etnaviv is at ~GL2 though started work on NIR so eventually long-term might have Vulkan.
              Isn't it a problem for most compositors and especially all modern browsers? They need to bring Mesa in shape before announcing any release dates IMHO.

              Comment


              • #8
                Starting at $599—less than the cost of many popular smartphones—(...)
                Er, that's technically true but only technically. I'll have to look how much insurance against loss breakage and theft may cost.


                One little thing I would appreciate is shipping a little USB-C to micro-USB dongle in the box, simply because I can access micro-USB cables and cheap power supplies everywhere but USB-C is very rare or unseen for me. Not an issue for customers who travel to tech conferences etc. but an issue for first-time buyers of smartphones with a 3-digit price.
                grok
                Senior Member
                Last edited by grok; 06 June 2018, 11:04 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                  As a former Ubuntu Touch tablet user, I hope they can get this right. Instead of shooting for the stars and trying to do everything from the start and making it clunky, I would rather they keep the basics intact and build upon it over time. I would rather have 60% of Android functionality work really well, than 100% of Android and have it run like crap.
                  I agree, but to be fair: are they the ones working on Android support? 'Cause the latest I've heard was that they were going to integrate AnBox, which is developed by third-party devs.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by shmerl View Post

                    Isn't it a problem for most compositors and especially all modern browsers? They need to bring Mesa in shape before announcing any release dates IMHO.
                    If it has reached the equivalent of OpenGL ES 2.0 features I think it would be fine. This gives you WebGL ; not WebGL 2 but I'm not sure if anyone uses that.
                    I also hope we don't need a computer that can run Crysis to draw a few rectangles or a 3D Earth.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X