Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetworkManager 1.11.4 Brings More Linux Networking Improvements

Phoronix: NetworkManager 1.11.4 Brings More Linux Networking Improvements

NetworkManager 1.11.4 is out today as the newest development release for this widely-used Linux network management user-space utility...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Using NetworkManager under Linux is as close as you can get to "the Windows Networking Experience" - if it works, fine, if it does not work, no chance this software will give you any useful hint to resolve the issues. Over time, I have given up three attempts to use NetworkManager - in the end, it always turned out to be quicker to use the underlying tools (ip, iw, wpa_supplicant etc.) because they are properly documented and provide the kind of feed-back that allows to rectify flawed setups.

I shudder when I remember the last time I tried, when I found NetworkManager to use some undocumented, dbus-related command line option with "openconnect" that of course obscured whatever NetworkManager was trying to pass to openconnect - and while the VPN worked just fine when invoking openconnect on the command line, it never worked when invoked by NetworkManager, with absolutely no clue why that would be.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
      Using NetworkManager under Linux is as close as you can get to "the Windows Networking Experience" - if it works, fine, if it does not work, no chance this software will give you any useful hint to resolve the issues. Over time, I have given up three attempts to use NetworkManager - in the end, it always turned out to be quicker to use the underlying tools (ip, iw, wpa_supplicant etc.) because they are properly documented and provide the kind of feed-back that allows to rectify flawed setups.

I shudder when I remember the last time I tried, when I found NetworkManager to use some undocumented, dbus-related command line option with "openconnect" that of course obscured whatever NetworkManager was trying to pass to openconnect - and while the VPN worked just fine when invoking openconnect on the command line, it never worked when invoked by NetworkManager, with absolutely no clue why that would be.
      No doubt you raised a bug for the issue...

Comment

Hi. I take the "if it works, fine" part as a compliment. I was sort of relieved to learn that the part that troubled you was openconnect, since that is indeed one of the obscure corners of NetworkManager partly due to the way it handles authentication (hell, setups that require a full web browser sometimes even with java or flash to get the login cookie).

We strive to keep our documentation very complete (there's virtually no undocumented bits of the D-Bus API and all the settings are extensively described by the manual pages, nm-settings(5) in particular).

In any case, we're all ears when it comes to debugability and traceability. It sometimes get difficult, and we're aware of some issues, but if you manage to find some particular area that could o better, please raise a bug or stop by the #nm channel on freenode.

Lubo
        Disclaimer: unless it's obvious, I'm among those who spend their days hacking on NM

Comment

does it support running whatever commands you tell it to run using a dhcp server when it connects using dhcp again or is this useful feature permanently removed?

Comment

Originally posted by lkundrak View Post
            there's virtually no undocumented bits of the D-Bus API and all the settings are extensively described by the manual pages, nm-settings(5) in particular
            Just for example: nm-settings(5) leaves it to the reader to guess what fine strings "bond.option" might accept. It also does not mention why "connection.slave-type", after having been set to "bond" by a "nmcli connection add ..." command gets reset to an empty string out of the blue.

In any case, we're all ears when it comes to debugability and traceability
            One good start would be to log an equivalent set of command lines that would perform the same changes to the network interfaces that NetworkManager just performed. In particular with "openconnect", hiding the parameters given to it behind some dbus-activity is the opposite of being debuggable.

Comment

I think the generic GTK applet for NM still won't ask for a password when trying to connect to a WPA2 WiFi. If you enter the WPA2 password in nmtui, the GTK applet still won't know it. Instead you need to 'edit' network options and fill in the password. It's pretty annoying that when connecting, it won't tell why it couldn't connect. Was the signal too weak, no password provided, wrong password, or what.

Comment

lkundrak speaking of network manager, I was trying to replicate through command line what network manager does when I connect a 4G usb modem, but without success.

When I unplug and plug the device again, network manager acquires a new IP address to it, I wanted to replicate this without needing to unplug the device

Comment

it sounds like it was openconnect's task to "give you any useful hint to resolve the issues"

Comment

I use openconnect with NetworkManager here daily, though there are problems when I have to change my password while the "remember password" option is enabled, and I've heard it doesn't work [as well or not at all] with the juniper setting.
                    Last edited by fuzz; 07 June 2018, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X