Dell Rolls Out New Precision Developer Laptops With Ubuntu Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johanb View Post

There are ThinkPad models which support 32GB ram, they are very expensive but they do support Linux perfectly.
    Depends on what you call "expensive". For example, the Lenovo ThinkPad L380 wuth 1920x1080 display, Intel Core i5-8250U Processor and 128 GB SATA 3 SSD costs €1206.17 with 32 GB of RAM. Sure, you could get a bit better specs for that price but it's still relatively affordable.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Does Dell even sell models with a pointing stick? If I'm not mistaken, Lenovo is the only one doing that (excluding a few special models from others, like that one Sony convertible which had a pointing stick instead of a trackpad).
      No, pointing stick or nub or trackpoint, call it what you want (here in Italy we often call it clit...) is present in several Dell models. I'm using a old Dell Precision M4500 which has it. I've used a Toshiba notebook several years ago which also had it.

That being said, none of the non-Lenovo clits, er, nubs, I've used so far are on a par with the quality of the ones you find in Thinkpads.

Comment

Does Dell even sell models with a pointing stick? If I'm not mistaken, Lenovo is the only one doing that (excluding a few special models from others, like that one Sony convertible which had a pointing stick instead of a trackpad).
        If you look at the images of the devices you will find them. Not all Lenovo models come with those either, only the ThinkPad models. Other than that I knwo that HP EliteBooks and HP Zbooks still come with those. There were a couple of Toshiba models a couple of years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by amehaye View Post
          The screen resolution of the basic model is 1366x768.
          To get "Full HD" you have to add 100$ so the listed price of the 'basic' model is kind of misleading to say the least.
          Well, try using a low end 15" 1920x1080 laptop display : it's garbage. Low contrast and the backlight hurts the eyes. You're looking at a badly filtered LED lamp. Such that, maybe 1366x768 is the better option, you'd have to see both...

In fact, I have to not call such a display merely low quality. A bad 1080p TN laptop display is a health hazard. 1366x768 IPS would be exponentially better.

Comment

Depends on what you call "expensive". For example, the Lenovo ThinkPad L380 wuth 1920x1080 display, Intel Core i5-8250U Processor and 128 GB SATA 3 SSD costs €1206.17 with 32 GB of RAM. Sure, you could get a bit better specs for that price but it's still relatively affordable.
            Lenovo IdeaPad supports 32GB. To support 32GB means having two SO-DIMM slots, which means all full size low end laptops support it. Unless it's a full size laptop with Atom CPU.
            Some "gaming" or "workstation" laptops may have four slots and support 64GB (or 48GB or 40GB) if you want lots of RAM ; I might recommend to wait for laptops with DDR5 or LPDDR5 if you already have something good enough but want better eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post

Lenovo IdeaPad supports 32GB.
              No, the new Lenovo ThinkPad L380 also supports 32GB. I've just bought one, so I know what I configured.
              If you don't believe me, look at the Customization page of the L380 and you can clearly see that you can configure it with 32 GB RAM: https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptop...US1/customize?
              Notebookcheck also confirms it: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo....295936.0.html
              "Memory 8192 MB , DDR4-2400, one of two slots are occupied, maximum of 32 GB RAM"

So you can clearly see that the new ThinkPad L380 also supports it.

Comment

My emphasis with italics was misunderstood, I wanted to say that a lower end still laptop supports 32GB as well

Comment

Working...
                X