Dell Rolls Out New Precision Developer Laptops With Ubuntu Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Exactly. Full hd on a 13" is useless. 1366x768 or ~3K (with 2x integer scaling) are much better.
    On the contrary full hd works quite nicely for a 15".
    My eyes aren't bad, but also not great, yet I have no problems with 1920x1080 on my 13" laptop. In fact, everything is much crisper because of it (the matte screen probably also helps).

But you've totally missed the point as the new Ubuntu laptops are 15" and 17" respectively. #fail
    Last edited by Vistaus; 26 May 2018, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

My eyes aren't bad, but also not great, yet I have no problems with 1920x1080 on my 13" laptop. In fact, everything is much crisper because of it (the matte screen probably also helps).

But you've totally missed the point as the new Ubuntu laptops are 15" and 17" respectively. #fail

I remember messing with a 1080p 11.6" convertible and didn't have a problem if it. That makes me think that people critique without trying things first, or have bad eyesight and do not now about it.

Comment

Still waiting for that illusive high end Ryzen laptop. I guess Intel is offering "incentives" again

Comment

The RAM is the important bit for me, working in 8GiB (as the XPS 13 tops out at) is basically untenable. I wonder if the NVIDIA chip can be shut off more-or-less completely on these things, and if there is enough IGP inside to do the everyday stuff.

For now it seems like the real work has to happen at home, though the XPS will be good enough for my casual stuff.

Comment

Why ship old operating systems
            to compete with windows 10 we need to ship the latest distros.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
              Why ship old operating systems
              to compete with windows 10 we need to ship the latest distros.
              For the people who would buy larger numbers of these, it's likely that they will be running whatever distro their applications are certified against, which is usually going to be whatever the stable release of RHEL is.

Comment

I too would be interested in a ryzen APU laptop with linux (ubuntu, whatever) pre-installed.

Comment

How fast is that AMD Radeon WX?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    As long as it comes with Nvidia graphics, I'm not interested!
                    Seriously, what were they thinking? Making Linux laptops is much needed, but why on Earth did they pick the GPU with the absolutely worst Linux support on the market?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      Hmm, that's interesting. It seems these laptops memory (the 3530 at least) options include ECC ram, and there is a CPU that actually supports ECC (the xeon with 35W TDP and integrated graphics).

And also that the NVIDIA card is an optional, you can get them with the Intel graphics only too.

And they offer the option to "disable the ME" (which is probably using the ME killswitch, but is much better than average)

That's 2.5k (which for some reason are discounted down to 1.7k on the configurator) for a xeon processor, a decent screen and 16GB or ECC RAM, not bad, at least there is the ECC option at all.
                      you can only get without nvidia card if you choose i5 cpu only, if you need stronger cpu, you cannot choose it without choosing nvidia gpu

Comment

Working...
                      X