Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System76 Begins Rolling Out The New Oryx Pro With Coffeelake CPU + NVIDIA Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Begins Rolling Out The New Oryx Pro With Coffeelake CPU + NVIDIA Graphics

Phoronix: System76 Begins Rolling Out The New Oryx Pro With Coffeelake CPU + NVIDIA Graphics

With Ubuntu 18.04 LTS out as well as System76's Pop!_OS updated against the Bionic Beaver, System76 is in the process of rolling out some new/updated systems. Last week they began teasing the Oryx Pro as their new "thin machine learning laptop" while today we have a better look at it...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Clevo N252WU!

By the way, I have a question... Why NVIDIA? The Radeon Pro 580 exi-

GTX 1070 with 2048 CUDA Cores
    ​​​​​​​never mind...

Comment

Nice to have a mix of legacy ports and USB-C. Since took USB about 15 years to have killed (almost) all other connection ports, it also will be a long road until the type C connector be widespread enough to a vendor stop offering other types of connectors, and not make the majority of their customers mad.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Clevo N252WU!

never mind...
        they always use a nvidia card in their performance laptops, I'm curisous with something ubuntu 18.04 and their pop_OS are with a lot of problems in optimus systems, or something will change a lot in few mounths or this laptop will became a nightmare

Comment

Ugh, looks like the power connector is on the left side... Going to be annoying to get that working with my arrangement.

I've already ordered mine... My previous laptop, which was the original Oryx Pro model, was stolen several days ago.

Here's what I know so far about this:
          It has optimus! But optimus (AFAIK) is still largely a pain in the ass in Linux. Hopefully with Wayland this won't be an issue in the future. But this is where it gets better... You'll be able to switch between optimus and nvidia in the BIOS. In fact, I think you might also be able to switch to Intel-only mode, but I'm not sure why that would be needed so I might be wrong about that.

Pop!_OS gives you a GUI option to switch GPU's... But you'll need to reboot to apply the change (given the nature of optimus in Linux, this is a really good idea!).

If I had to guess, this is probably making use of UEFI and probably setting some option on the UEFI filesystem.

Unfortunately, even if you boot directly to "Nvidia only" mode, there is no g-sync! This makes sense though. G-Sync on laptops is generally handled more like FreeSync (no special hardware), and this method doesn't have Linux support. G-Sync of any type also won't work with optimus... So for people who will only run Linux (which is most System76 customers), this is fine.

Unfortunately, I'm one of the few people who could have made use of G-Sync if the system was set to boot to Nvidia-only mode. Though even in Nvidia-only mode, I'm not sure it would be possible to support it. It would depend if the discreet GPU would have a sufficiently direct connection to the display in Nvidia-only mode.

Ah well, I'll have a lot more battery life, and can still play games pretty well when I need to.

It's also my understanding that you lose ~5% of your Nvidia GPU performance with optimus... It will be interesting to see if this also applies in Nividia-only mode because perhaps the Intel GPU still isn't entirely bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Clevo N252WU!

​​​​​​​never mind...
            By the way, I have a question... Why Ubuntu? All the high end rendering applications are .rpm like renderman...
            Oh just convert with alien and not get official support,um k.

I guess I'll just have to use those GREAT electron apps.

Comment

Originally posted by PackRat View Post
              Why Ubuntu?
              I'm also not a huge fan of debian-based distros but what was the purpose of that question? It's not like vendor is forcing you to use Pop_OS because, I don't know, bootloader lock. Fedora/CentOS/OpenSUSE, chose whatever you like.

Comment

The advert is corny and extremely ironic as they emphasize disrupting the status quo, yet they only sell Intel and Nvidia. I wish System76 the best of luck (being serious), the more Linux users the better.

Comment

Thanks System76 for supporting open source friendly AMD Radeon cards. I'll better go with an older/bulkier/cheaper (for half price and sporting an i7 QM CPU) but still resourceful Dell Precision with an AMD Fire pro 2GB video card on it. I really don't understand and I won't support you.
                  Last edited by horizonbrave; 09 May 2018, 08:04 PM.

Comment

I hope they start testing on amd products. AMD and nvidia/intel are at performance parity, and as intel sits at 14 nm and AMD moves to 7 nm, the gap in performance/power efficiency is going to increase. I know pinnacle ridge is still a shitshow in the kernel, but hedging your bets on a open source sensitive vendor seems like a smarter idea in the long run.

Comment

Working...
                    X